5,597,501 Members 32,055 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can the Nexus 7 32GB HSPA+ be used as a phone?

Tip us?

Shaizer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Can the Nexus 7 32GB HSPA+ be used as a phone?

Hey all,

Sorry if this was asked before (I did look around) but will it be possible to use the upcoming 32GB Nexus 7 HSPA+ as a phone? I know the phone.apk won't be there but with some custom rom can it be possible?

I was considering this as an option over getting a nexus 4.

Thanks in advance,

-Shaizer

Ryan35310
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaizer View Post
Hey all,

Sorry if this was asked before (I did look around) but will it be possible to use the upcoming 32GB Nexus 7 HSPA+ as a phone? I know the phone.apk won't be there but with some custom rom can it be possible?

I was considering this as an option over getting a nexus 4.

Thanks in advance,

-Shaizer
Get a Google Voice account and use Groove IP app.
My Devices!

Google Nexus 4 (16 GB) Rooted With SuperSU Installed And TWRP Paranoid Android Franco.Kernel

Google Nexus 7 (16 GB) Rooted With SuperSU Installed And TWRP Paranoid Android Franco.Kernel

If I Helped You, Click The "Thanks" Button.

relaxable
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan35310 View Post
Get a Google Voice account and use Groove IP app.
I have same question as OP, and this is not a solution! I want to use the Nexus7 AS MY PHONE! With a voice/data SIM/plan. Since I use T-Mobile PREPAID, it is not possible to even forward my mobile voice #. So, basically, need a phone.apk or equivalent. Why wouldn't they do this? The phone has all the radios & supports all the bands for cellular communication. So, why can't I use it as my phone!?!?

dmonger11b
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxable View Post
I have same question as OP, and this is not a solution! I want to use the Nexus7 AS MY PHONE! With a voice/data SIM/plan. Since I use T-Mobile PREPAID, it is not possible to even forward my mobile voice #. So, basically, need a phone.apk or equivalent. Why wouldn't they do this? The phone has all the radios & supports all the bands for cellular communication. So, why can't I use it as my phone!?!?
Actually it is a solution my N7 IS my phone with the paid version of groove IP I can make and receive calls on the tablet. Get a Google voice account and port your number to it then buy the app from the play store and presto you have a 7in phone that works perfectly fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

relaxable
Old
(Last edited by relaxable; 7th December 2012 at 03:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonger11b View Post
Actually it is a solution my N7 IS my phone with the paid version of groove IP I can make and receive calls on the tablet. Get a Google voice account and port your number to it then buy the app from the play store and presto you have a 7in phone that works perfectly fine.

It is NOT a solution. Maybe it's a solution for YOU.
I DO have a Google Voice number. I do NOT want to port my mobile # to Google.
I TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY. I want to be able to pop a local SIM card in from countries around the world with a prepaid voice/data plan, and use the Nexus 7 for PHONE & Internet access. This CAN NOT BE DONE with Google Voice.

Furthermore, Google Voice is not entirely reliable. There are times I use it to place a call, and it calls a completely different number! If you are in an area where there is a cell signal, but no data (= some rural areas / very weak signal), Google Voice does not work, because a data connection is required to send the data about the call to Google. And with this "quasi-solution", if there is no data connection, there is no phone at all as all the calls are converted to Internet data/VOIP.

dmonger11b
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Then don't buy the damn thing and stop crying about it Jesus ****

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Tone down the all caps. Google is responsible for the absence of phone abilities on this tablet, not the forum members or devs here. If you need it to make phone calls through the SIM, get something else. Maybe a Padfone.

Also - T-Mobile blocks the Nexus 7 from working with SIM cards registered on voice plans. So don't say you weren't warned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nuumuun
Old
Thanks Meter 42
phone support is not built in by google/asus but there are already efforts underway to unlock this functionality.
just take a look at the threads in the 3G development section
The Following User Says Thank You to nuumuun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

buginsoup
Old
Thanks Meter 0
relaxable's question was very much straightforward but the answers given dmonger11b was not. Yes, Or No. Finished! relaxable didn't ask How to make calls ... The question was it is a phone or not - by default.

I think senior members should be knowledgeable enough to answer.

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Default Re: Can the Nexus 7 32GB HSPA+ be used as a phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buginsoup View Post
relaxable's question was very much straightforward but the answers given dmonger11b was not. Yes, Or No. Finished! relaxable didn't ask How to make calls ... The question was it is a phone or not - by default.

I think senior members should be knowledgeable enough to answer.
I think XDA members should be knowledgeable enough to notice the last date that someone posted in this thread

It's still not a phone and it's unlikely to ever be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2