[Q] Upgrading to ICS...

Tip us?

johnny grep
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Upgrading to ICS...

Hello,

I have a Bell Samsung Galaxy Note which had Gingerbread but could not find the OTA upgrade to ICS for some reason. It originally had ICS but flashed it back to Gingerbread since I wanted to start from scratch (using Odin). I've had numerous issues flashing it using Odin (many nand flash errors, soft brick, etc) but now I flashed it to AT&T stock, just to test if everything was working. All is good for now.

I want to upgrade it to ICS to perform the T-mo unlock trick but everytime I try to flash an Odin ICS tar, I get hit with an error at some point and the phone puts itself in Kies recovery mode (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue). Here are my questions:

1. Upon flashing an ICS tar in Odin, should I select the re-partition option in Odin (e.g. does it have a PIT file in there)? Or can I just go ahead and flash the tar file under PDA?
2. Should I do a factory wipe on top of the cache wipe in recovery before flashing an Odin tar?
3. Are there any OEM stock images/ROMs (AT&T, Bell or other) that can be flashed with a cwm/twrp recovery? All I can find are tar files, I know I can probably modify them and remove the recovery.img but would rather not as this might break things.
4. Any issues flashing through VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro? Could this be the cause of my issues?

HD2FORNICK
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny grep View Post
Hello,

I have a Bell Samsung Galaxy Note which had Gingerbread but could not find the OTA upgrade to ICS for some reason. It originally had ICS but flashed it back to Gingerbread since I wanted to start from scratch (using Odin). I've had numerous issues flashing it using Odin (many nand flash errors, soft brick, etc) but now I flashed it to AT&T stock, just to test if everything was working. All is good for now.

I want to upgrade it to ICS to perform the T-mo unlock trick but everytime I try to flash an Odin ICS tar, I get hit with an error at some point and the phone puts itself in Kies recovery mode (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue). Here are my questions:

1. Upon flashing an ICS tar in Odin, should I select the re-partition option in Odin (e.g. does it have a PIT file in there)? Or can I just go ahead and flash the tar file under PDA?
2. Should I do a factory wipe on top of the cache wipe in recovery before flashing an Odin tar?
3. Are there any OEM stock images/ROMs (AT&T, Bell or other) that can be flashed with a cwm/twrp recovery? All I can find are tar files, I know I can probably modify them and remove the recovery.img but would rather not as this might break things.
4. Any issues flashing through VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro? Could this be the cause of my issues?
A few days ago I purchased a ATT i717 locked and used the TMO Radio to unlock it as described in a unlock sim thread. I then installed an ATT ROM and am actually using it with a metropcs SIM card.
I began by originally using odin to root and install touch recovery. I somehow got stuck on the SAMSUNG logo but was able to get into recovery and flash the goldie rom. Since then I have installed a kit kat rom and everything is fine.

johnny grep
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
FYI, if anyone is wondering, it was VMware Fusion causing interference - I later found a reference to it on another xda post while searching for something else but it wasn't that easy to find. I have another MacBook with Boot Camp and that one can flash through Odin without any issues. So if anyone is trying to VM their way through Odin flashing, it's a bad idea. It'll stick your phone in recovery mode. Since then I've flashed/restored many Odin files, reinstalled cwm, flashed a few roms including Custom Canadian JB, Padawan JB 4, AT&T Stock, etc.