5,595,964 Members 31,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Win XP 64 bit USB driver?

Tip us?

Paul22000
Old
(Last edited by Paul22000; 16th January 2010 at 06:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Default Win XP 64 bit USB driver?

My PC has never been able to connect via adb, and after weeks of searching around, reinstalling drivers 99 times etc, I finally gave up. That was months ago.

Today I found my Nexus One wasn't able to connect either (yes, new drivers), I knew it was something with Windows. I am using Windows XP 64 bit and I found this:

Quote:
Does adb not work on windows xp 64? I followed the directions and it didnt work.

no. But there is an unofficial driver for Vista x64 which works on XP x64 too. Read here.

http://www.modmygphone.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11031
Eureka! No wonder!!!

Unfortunately, the "fixed" file is extremely old, so it won't work for my G1, nor especially for the Nexus One.

Has anyone out there been able to use adb with ANY Android device on Windows XP 64 bit?

kozm0naut
Old
Thanks Meter 0
No. I used to use Windows XP 64-bit. You need to upgrade to a new operating system, trust me.

Edit: The one guy who says the drivers work on xp-64 is incorrect or simply lying. I wasted a lot of time thanks to that jackass post.

Rashkae
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I'm on win 7 64-bit and it connected without a hiccup.

Paul22000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozm0naut View Post
No. I used to use Windows XP 64-bit. You need to upgrade to a new operating system, trust me.

Edit: The one guy who says the drivers work on xp-64 is incorrect or simply lying. I wasted a lot of time thanks to that jackass post.
THANK YOU

Finally, someone else in the same boat! People kept telling me to reinstall drivers a billion times. Now I know it's true. Thanks!

Paul22000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
I'm on win 7 64-bit and it connected without a hiccup.
Windows 7 64 =/= Windows XP 64

Paul22000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Also just found this:

Quote:
I think this has something to do with 64-bit Windows not being supported by the drivers.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1039

melterx12
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
k0z you are incorrect. I just looked at my usb_driver folder included with the android sdk, it shows the files: androidwinusba64.cat, and a folder named amd64 for 64 bit installations, along with an i386 folder and androidwinusb86.cat for 32 bit installations.

Paul22000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
k0z you are incorrect. I just looked at my usb_driver folder included with the android sdk, it shows the files: androidwinusba64.cat, and a folder named amd64 for 64 bit installations, along with an i386 folder and androidwinusb86.cat for 32 bit installations.
Just because there is a folder and some files for it, doesn't mean it works.

That's why I'm asking if there's anyone who has *actually used* adb on Windows XP 64 bit.

melterx12
Old
(Last edited by melterx12; 16th January 2010 at 06:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul22000 View Post
Just because there is a folder and some files for it, doesn't mean it works.

That's why I'm asking if there's anyone who has *actually used* adb on Windows XP 64 bit.
actually, thats exactly what it means. the androidwinusb64.cat is the catalog for windows 64 bit.

EDIT: Just follow this guide, but use the latest adb drivers not the one provided in the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=502010

Latest drivers are found here: http://djdoprkngutub.cloudfront.net/usb_driver.zip

kozm0naut
Old
(Last edited by kozm0naut; 16th January 2010 at 06:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
While I'm sure a number of attempts have been made, and it's even possible that there are successful drivers out there now, I find this highly unlikely and I know that I personally wasted too much time trying to get this to work on my XP-64 machine.

There's really no support any more for Windows XP-64, in regards to Android or anything else as far as I can tell. Vista sucked, but it's time for you to make the jump to 7 I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
actually, thats exactly what it means. the androidwinusb64.cat is the catalog for windows 64 bit.
I found these files as well, none of them ever worked. Does this one work? Have you used it? Furthermore, it doesn't look like any of these indicate that they are for Windows XP at all.