XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[hardware][mod]

Tip us?

GRudolf94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Post [hardware][mod]

So, I was re-reading the schematics, and while I was looking at the boot settings/hardwired configs (page 18 of the 44-page document you find floating around the web), I noticed there is a way to set a RECOVEY_MODE# flag (seems to use a pulldown resistor for that), setting either "USB Recovery Mode" or tell the SoC to "Boot from secondary device'

I can't really afford messing with my N7 right now, since phone #2 is dead and the good old TF101 needs a new cable...Anyone got any ideas on this, or has a spare, semi-dead/semi-unusable device to see if this has any useful functionality? Might save people who are bricked and without NVFlash/APX blobs...Will try to get my hands on a dead device to push this farther.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n7xda.png
Views:	869
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	2445027  
Phone #1: LG P920 (Optimus 3D), changing ROMs
Phone #2: Milestone B (A953 in A853 shell), stock Moto crap (broken volume buttons, no flashing )
Tab #1: Nexus 7, 2012, WiFi+16GB
Tab #2: Asus EeePad Transformer TF101, stock ICS (broken USB cable, need new one :P )

Test phones: Several

Others: Over 50 WinMo/android/Symbian/other devices in this short life of mine
The Following User Says Thank You to GRudolf94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p5auser
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRudolf94 View Post
So, I was re-reading the schematics, and while I was looking at the boot settings/hardwired configs (page 18 of the 44-page document you find floating around the web), I noticed there is a way to set a RECOVEY_MODE# flag (seems to use a pulldown resistor for that), setting either "USB Recovery Mode" or tell the SoC to "Boot from secondary device'

I can't really afford messing with my N7 right now, since phone #2 is dead and the good old TF101 needs a new cable...Anyone got any ideas on this, or has a spare, semi-dead/semi-unusable device to see if this has any useful functionality? Might save people who are bricked and without NVFlash/APX blobs...Will try to get my hands on a dead device to push this farther.
This is a good idea to try pull down this signal and get the recovery mode but you need to try. I am not sure if it is workable. your experience will help us to save N7's life.
BTW, would you please tell me how to get the device's schematic. I dont know whether we have the opportunity to get a gsm phone call if i have the schematic.

GRudolf94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Like I said, I have no fallback, so I can't be fussing with my N7. @p5auser, PM'd you the link...Anyone with a bricked device or broken screen?
Phone #2: Milestone B (A953 in A853 shell), stock Moto crap (broken volume buttons, no flashing )
Tab #2: Asus EeePad Transformer TF101, stock ICS (broken USB cable, need new one :P )

p5auser
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRudolf94 View Post
Like I said, I have no fallback, so I can't be fussing with my N7. @p5auser, PM'd you the link...Anyone with a bricked device or broken screen?
it is difficult to read the schematics on the website. i will try to print out. I had ever bricked my N7 device after doing firmware upgraded and went to RMA.
The RMA replace the internal PCBA. so i recommend you go to RMA if your warranty is valid.

GRudolf94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5auser View Post
it is difficult to read the schematics on the website. i will try to print out. I had ever bricked my N7 device after doing firmware upgraded and went to RMA.
The RMA replace the internal PCBA. so i recommend you go to RMA if your warranty is valid.
The point is, people that are desperate enough to fuss around with the hardware (and have the knowledge to do so, reading schematics included) to try a fix are most likely out of warranty. Also, the Grouper/Tilapia models have been replaced already, and most of those units are over 1 year old, and thus, out of warranty. I, personally, don't have such a problem with my tablet, but I wanted to see if this is helpful to anyone. It's just a matter of reading the table contained in the document, finding the mentioned resistor (or it's place) on the board, and mod it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GRudolf94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]