XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I buy the Moto G?

Tip us?

nrp31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Should I buy the Moto G?

Hi Everyone,I currently own a Sony Xperia S which was launched back in 2012.It has a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon S3 chip with 1GB RAM and Adreno 220 GPU.I recently saw the Moto G and was actually amazed by its specs considering its price.I am actually planning to pick up the 16GB model for myself but I wanted to know whether it is worth to upgrade from the Xperia S to the Moto G as my daily Driver? The Xperia S has NFC and a very good 13 megapixel camera,The Moto G on the other hand has no NFC and has a 5 megapixel camera.

I am inclined to buy the Moto G because of its performance as my Xperia S does show some lag now and it is stuck on official Android 4.1.2 JellyBean.

So what do you guys suggest? Is it worth buying the Moto G?Will I see an increased performance in Games and everyday tasks on the Moto G compared to my Xperia S?
Do help me with your valuable advice
Thanks

P.S Even If I buy the Moto G,I will be keeping the Xperia S with me.I will not sell it
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp31 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ahac85
Old
Thanks Meter 94
The moto g is great phone and its not expensive. It runs on vanilla android and you won't be disappointed, battery life is amazing

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk 2
------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
ROM: Stock Odexed MK6 | JellyBean 4.3
KERNEL: Boeffla Kernel 5.2 Stable
RECOVERY: PhilZ Touch CWM 6.12.8

Sign up for FREE 2GB Dropbox Cloud Storage and get an additional 500mb space! db.tt/4Mpm5Us
The Following User Says Thank You to ahac85 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 138
I wouldn't upgrade unless you think there are benefits to the Moto G compared to your current phone.
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]

nrp31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
I wouldn't upgrade unless you think there are benefits to the Moto G compared to your current phone.
I actually wanted to know whether there are any benefits if I upgrade to the Moto G from my current phone!

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

nrp31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahac85 View Post
The moto g is great phone and its not expensive. It runs on vanilla android and you won't be disappointed, battery life is amazing

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk 2
So you're saying I should Go ahead and buy the Moto G?

Sent from my LT26ii using xda app-developers app

nikotime
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I actually have just upgraded my Xperia S for the Moto G! Camera is obviously worse but I'm delighted with my decision, screen seems better on the G and feels much snappier. Well worth it for me.

nrp31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotime View Post
I actually have just upgraded my Xperia S for the Moto G! Camera is obviously worse but I'm delighted with my decision, screen seems better on the G and feels much snappier. Well worth it for me.
Thanks man! Do you see a better performance in Gaming?

mELIANTE
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I would try a custom ROM before making the jump.

acutbal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp31 View Post
Hi Everyone,I currently own a Sony Xperia S which was launched back in 2012.It has a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon S3 chip with 1GB RAM and Adreno 220 GPU.I recently saw the Moto G and was actually amazed by its specs considering its price.I am actually planning to pick up the 16GB model for myself but I wanted to know whether it is worth to upgrade from the Xperia S to the Moto G as my daily Driver? The Xperia S has NFC and a very good 13 megapixel camera,The Moto G on the other hand has no NFC and has a 5 megapixel camera.

I am inclined to buy the Moto G because of its performance as my Xperia S does show some lag now and it is stuck on official Android 4.1.2 JellyBean.

So what do you guys suggest? Is it worth buying the Moto G?Will I see an increased performance in Games and everyday tasks on the Moto G compared to my Xperia S?
Do help me with your valuable advice
Thanks

P.S Even If I buy the Moto G,I will be keeping the Xperia S with me.I will not sell it
I have the same doubt...

IMHO these are the benefits and the disadvantages of buying the MG:

Pro:
Best optimization software-hardware
Best hardware
Bigger screen and similar resolution (just a little)
Pure Android and future upgrades
Battery duration
Prize
50 GB Drive (only 2 years)

Cons:
Only 8GB (In my case because I'll only can pay for it)
Only white led notifications
No HDMI output
No NFC (irrelevant in my case)
Worse camera (only hardware camera, I've no idea about sofware camera)
Lack of Sony apps and smallapps (only if you like it)
No earphones and no charger (It doesn't mind)
Worse earphones quality sound (I'm not sure with this point)

I'll buy it for sure!!! I like it so much!!!

nrp31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mELIANTE View Post
I would try a custom ROM before making the jump.
Though the Xperia S developers are working very hard,the Customs ROM still don't support everything.Like there are still issues with the 4.3 ROM for Xperia S.
I have tried custom rom in the past and will definitely flash once a stable one is out