[Q] bricked sprint S4 while rooting

Tip us?

nate600
Old
(Last edited by nate600; 15th July 2013 at 04:46 PM.) Reason: added info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] bricked sprint S4 while rooting

I was following the youtube video when the root failed. Now the device only shows the "Downloading" screen.

Edit: when rebooted the device shows: Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.

some help please.

held VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER and get a "Warning !!

A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.

If you want to download up key.
Otherwise ,press the volume down key to cancel.

Volume UP: continue
Volume Down : Cancel (restart phone)

I hit Volume UP to continue an it takes me to the screen shown in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6673.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	2118178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6674.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	2118179  

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate600 View Post
I was following the youtube video when the root failed. Now the device only shows the "Downloading" screen.

some help please.
So after you reboot it again is just immediately goes back to download mode on its own?

Cytality
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:

some help please.

Obviously you can't boot the phone, but does the bootloader work? Turn phone off... then hold VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER until you see Samsung logo then let go. If you have stock bootloader there should be an option to factory reset.

I believe the screen you're looking at in your pictures is specifically for receiving firmware, not the boot.

If everything I just said sounds retarded, I apologize. I iz noob.

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsRyan View Post
Obviously you can't boot the phone, but does the bootloader work? Turn phone off... then hold VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER until you see Samsung logo then let go. If you have stock bootloader there should be an option to factory reset.

I believe the screen you're looking at in your pictures is specifically for receiving firmware, not the boot.

If everything I just said sounds retarded, I apologize. I iz noob.
I am guessing but I don't think he has restarted after the failure. The screenshot he posted is of download mode, which you only need VDown + Power by the way makes it a little easier to get to.

Cytality
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawrj View Post
I am guessing but I don't think he has restarted after the failure. The screenshot he posted is of download mode, which you only need VDown + Power by the way makes it a little easier to get to.

I thought "download mode" and "bootloader" were two difference things... you get download mode by doing VOL DOWN + POWER so the phone can be flashed directly. And you do VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER to start recovery. Am I wrong?

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsRyan View Post
I thought "download mode" and "bootloader" were two difference things... you get download mode by doing VOL DOWN + POWER so the phone can be flashed directly. And you do VOL DOWN + HOME + POWER to start recovery. Am I wrong?
Recovery is VUp + Power. For each one you can hold home and it will work but it isn't necessary. In fact you only need power if it is off. If the phone is rebooting or already powering up you just need to hold VUp or VDown.

nate600
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawrj View Post
Recovery is VUp + Power. For each one you can hold home and it will work but it isn't necessary. In fact you only need power if it is off. If the phone is rebooting or already powering up you just need to hold VUp or VDown.
anyway to just factory reset this thing ?

I powered off the device by removing the battery.

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3639
Quote:
anyway to just factory reset this thing ?

I powered off the device by removing the battery.
We need more info. So when you power the phone on it just goes right to download mode by itself? If you can get into recovery VUp+Power you can do a factory reset. I don't think that will help but it might. If you are stuck in download mode, the phone won't boot up or factory reset doesn't work Odin a stock tar of the version you were on, MDC, MDL or MF9.

GiantJay
Old
Thanks Meter 597
All you have to do to get to download mode is press volume down recovery is volume up, no power.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

If you can get to either of those you are not bricked. Bricked means your phone does nothing at all, no recovery, download mode and won't boot to a ROM hence the word bricked, your phone is inoperable and is a brick.

crawrj
Old
Thanks Meter 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
All you have to do to get to download mode is press volume down recovery is volume up, no power.

You need power if the phone is off. You don't have to hold them at the same time but if the phone is off you need VDown + Power or VUp + Power.