XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone restarts and turns off

Tip us?

Hackit5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Phone restarts and turns off

My tmobile galaxy s3 was turning on by itself as soon as i put the battery in it. The phone would stay on for about 5 seconds then turn off. This repeated itself over and over again as soon as i put in the battery in.

I took it in to get repaired and the guy told me its the power switch so he replaced it.

I rooted my phone and put a 4.3 rom on it. Everything started up fine and installed properly.

2 days later the same issues on it turning on by itself and turning off. I took it in to the same shop and they are blaming me for a bad root.

Any thoughts?

TSoprano
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackit5 View Post
My tmobile galaxy s3 was turning on by itself as soon as i put the battery in it. The phone would stay on for about 5 seconds then turn off. This repeated itself over and over again as soon as i put in the battery in.

I took it in to get repaired and the guy told me its the power switch so he replaced it.

I rooted my phone and put a 4.3 rom on it. Everything started up fine and installed properly.

2 days later the same issues on it turning on by itself and turning off. I took it in to the same shop and they are blaming me for a bad root.

Any thoughts?
It could be a problem with the power button. I had a similar problem with my gs3 when I bought it used. If you take the battery out and then put the battery back in and the phone boots up by itself without touching the power button then it might be the same problem I had..

I don't recommend this fix for everyone with a power button problem but in my case it fixed it and it's been perfect ever since I did this..

I fixed mine by taking my phone apart and taking my dremel tool with a fine grinding wheel and sanding just a millimeter or two off of the face of the internal power button. The silver power button that you see on the outside of the phone is just a cover that presses on the internal button which is just a tiny micro switch. I found that the external button was always putting pressure on the internal button and causing the phone to constantly reboot. By sanding a bit off of the internal button it gave it some space so it wasn't always putting pressure on the button. There's a few video's on youtube that show how to take the phone apart to get to the power button. It's very easy.
New! Nexus 7 32gb FHD Tablet KK 4.4.2
ROM Stock Rooted (for a couple days @ least)

Tmo SGSIII
ROM .::StockMOD::. Version 5

Tmo SGS 4G (wifey's phone now)
ROM Valhalla Black
Kernel 2.6.35.7 sms-T959V-KJ6-v0.1.1-rc1
Modem T959VUKD1