XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about updating to latest firmware

Tip us?

Gamer_Josh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Question about updating to latest firmware

I did some searching of the forums, but didn't find what I was looking for. I have an AT&T S4, currently on the MDL firmware and rooted with TWRP. So that puts me two updates behind now and I'd really like to update.

So the question is, what would be the best way to go about updating to the latest official firmware, while retaining root? I can do without recovery if necessary, but I really want to keep root. I'd prefer to do this in a way where I avoid having to do a clean install and back up everything, then restore. I'd like to update in a way that keeps settings and applications as they are, as an official OTA update would do.

Is this possible?

HiTideBlastoise
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Stay where you are and run a custom firmware!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Gamer_Josh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTideBlastoise View Post
Stay where you are and run a custom firmware!

I thought about it, but I actually like the Touchwiz ROMs, as odd as it may sound.

HiTideBlastoise
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Why you flash a custom touch wiz rom? Trust me, only being able to root in a still sketchy/kinda legimate way is not worth it

Gamer_Josh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTideBlastoise View Post
Why you flash a custom touch wiz rom? Trust me, only being able to root in a still sketchy/kinda legimate way is not worth it

I want the official Samsung update, just with root capability. So that I can still use programs which require root (such as TitaniumBackup, Avast's Anti-Theft, AdAway, GameKiller, etc.). I've seen on the forums that people have proceeded to the latest update while retaining their root, but I haven't found how yet.

norbarb
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Josh View Post
I want the official Samsung update, just with root capability. So that I can still use programs which require root (such as TitaniumBackup, Avast's Anti-Theft, AdAway, GameKiller, etc.). I've seen on the forums that people have proceeded to the latest update while retaining their root, but I haven't found how yet.
try this if you want to get back to 100% stock and update : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...46&postcount=1 . Works on most Samsung devices

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Josh View Post
Just wait, run StockUp, or a 4.3 rom for the international version. If you want Touchwiz, you can get one of those and if you really want the OTA wait until someone creates a version that doesn't update your bootloader so you can still have the option to change. If you really do want it, then flash the stock firmware and go through the updates, making sure you root after you get MF3 and then use SuperSU survival before updating to MK2.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)

Gamer_Josh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
Just wait, run StockUp, or a 4.3 rom for the international version. If you want Touchwiz, you can get one of those and if you really want the OTA wait until someone creates a version that doesn't update your bootloader so you can still have the option to change. If you really do want it, then flash the stock firmware and go through the updates, making sure you root after you get MF3 and then use SuperSU survival before updating to MK2.
Is there now a way to retain root when updating from MDL to MF3 via OTA? Becuase I already am stock, I just need to unfreeze the files that allow for OTA updating.

jball
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Yes there is a way.use Supersu pro and enable Survival mode and it will retain root .we would all move the world to go back to MDL is why people are trying to persuade you to use a rom. (ENVY)

ROOTED ATT MK2 using Tapatalk