5,597,501 Members 31,518 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to root/Back up TA Since the Guide is mangled?

Tip us?

Shadow of Chaos
Old
(Last edited by Shadow of Chaos; 12th December 2013 at 04:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] How to root/Back up TA Since the Guide is mangled?

About what it says on the tin; Since the new users guide is currently mangled since the mods removed the questionable software links, I'm unsure how to root the thing (Not that I can right now, but I should get it sometime today if UPS will get it's **** together).

Also, two tangents but slightly related; I know we need to backup the TA partition to retain the installed DRM keys, but what exactly do those DRM keys do?

And, I noticed Omni ROM now includes a Build.prop update to their install that fixes the data issues; I've never updated a build before, so just to clairify, all I do is replace the Build.prop in that folder in the .ZIP file, right?

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5435
- Root tool
- General rooting guide (ignore the vRoot part and use the first link in this post)
- TA tool with guide

DRM keys are used for X-Reality and TrackID etc. so if you unlock your bootloader, you'll lose the DRM keys and you can't get them back. That's why you should back it up in case you want to unlock the bootloader.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shadow of Chaos
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Perfect, thanks.

YrrchSebor
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
- Root tool
- General rooting guide (ignore the vRoot part and use the first link in this post)
- TA tool with guide

DRM keys are used for X-Reality and TrackID etc. so if you unlock your bootloader, you'll lose the DRM keys and you can't get them back. That's why you should back it up in case you want to unlock the bootloader.
good post

it's funny tho, i never can tell any difference when my bootloader is unlocked. TrackID seems to work still(?, will have to try again sometime to confirm but i could swear i tried it), and i can still enable X-Reality(tho i have never known or seen what it brings, even when i was bone stock haha)

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmemma16 View Post
good post

it's funny tho, i never can tell any difference when my bootloader is unlocked. TrackID seems to work still(?, will have to try again sometime to confirm but i could swear i tried it), and i can still enable X-Reality(tho i have never known or seen what it brings, even when i was bone stock haha)
You can enable it when unlocked but it wont really work

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel
The Following User Says Thank You to shaolin95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmemma16 View Post
good post

Yeah, Gracenote (the service that fetches info about your movies/music) should also stop working after unlocking the bootloader, but i'm still using it.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

YrrchSebor
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Yeah, Gracenote (the service that fetches info about your movies/music) should also stop working after unlocking the bootloader, but i'm still using it.
i might just stop relocking, and save myself the factory reset whenever i unlock! unless i want to install an OTA update i guess..

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
You can enable it when unlocked but it wont really work
i don't think i can even tell the difference, maybe i need to look closer lol.