5,596,700 Members 46,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sim unlock possible with custom rom?

Tip us?

BB88
Old
(Last edited by BB88; 20th December 2013 at 09:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Sim unlock possible with custom rom?

I have heard people saying after installing custom rom, it may cause problem sim-unlocking the HTC One. Is that correct? Have anyone tried that after installing the ARHD?

UPDATE: I tested it myself, and it works on ARHD.

mikedoherty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was impatient, and installed cyanogenmod and so on before unlocking the SIM, and now I'm unable to unlock it. I guess I'll try reverting to a stock ROM, attempt the SIM unlock, and then reinstall CM. If I can figure out how.
Can you believe this twit has a blog?

BB88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoherty View Post
I was impatient, and installed cyanogenmod and so on before unlocking the SIM, and now I'm unable to unlock it. I guess I'll try reverting to a stock ROM, attempt the SIM unlock, and then reinstall CM. If I can figure out how.
What do you mean by "unable"? It doesn't accept the unlock code, or what was the problem?

mikedoherty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
What do you mean by "unable"? It doesn't accept the unlock code, or what was the problem?
Yes, when you enter the code, it says "requesting network unlock... network unlock request failed"

I've just used TWRP to restore a stock ROM. This time, when I provide the unlock code, it tells me it succeeded, and that I need to reboot. Upon rebooting, the phone is network locked again -- not sure why the unlock wouldn't be persistent. If you decline to reboot, then I get a black screen with a spinner "Unlocking your SIM card and setting up your phone..." that doesn't seem to go away.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any ideas?

BB88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Yes, when you enter the code, it says "requesting network unlock... network unlock request failed"

I've just used TWRP to restore a stock ROM. This time, when I provide the unlock code, it tells me it succeeded, and that I need to reboot. Upon rebooting, the phone is network locked again -- not sure why the unlock wouldn't be persistent. If you decline to reboot, then I get a black screen with a spinner "Unlocking your SIM card and setting up your phone..." that doesn't seem to go away.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any ideas?
Hope other people can chime in. I don't even know if having a custom recovery will make a difference.

mikedoherty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well, all I did was a) unlock the bootloader via htcdev b) install clockworkmod c) install CM d) replace clockworkmod with TWRP to restore the stock ROM

So, I guess the next steps should be reversing b/d by taking recovery back to stock - not sure how to do that - and reversing a by re-locking the bootloader. If someone could help me figure out how to do those 2 things, that seems like a step in the right direction.

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 AM ----------

I managed to go back to stock recovery, and now the SIM unlock succeeds and is persistent. JOY!

Anyone idea if it's going to re-lock the SIM if I head back to clockworkmod & cyanogenmod? If it'll just bork all over again, then I won't bother, because I'll have to get back to this state again anyways.

Is there a backup solution that covers the ROM and recovery so I can more easily revert to this state later if need be?

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2084
Quote:
Hope other people can chime in. I don't even know if having a custom recovery will make a difference.
Use a Guru Reset ROM to get back to stock (includes recovery): http://www.htc1guru.com/downloads/stock-rom-downloads/
the SIM Unlock code should work then.

Quote:
Anyone idea if it's going to re-lock the SIM if I head back to clockworkmod & cyanogenmod?
Once SIM is unlocked, it won't lock again. you're good to flash anything.

BB88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
Use a Guru Reset ROM to get back to stock (includes recovery): http://www.htc1guru.com/downloads/stock-rom-downloads/
the SIM Unlock code should work then.

Once SIM is unlocked, it won't lock again. you're good to flash anything.
Do you know if unlock code will work on ARHD rom?

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2084
Quote:
Do you know if unlock code will work on ARHD rom?
Did a few posts for sim unlock a while back, but can't really remember exactly what had to be stock; you can try with anything you're on at the moment, if it doesnt work, then
1- just do a nandroid,
2- flash a stock rom matching (or at least very close) to your firmware & stock recovery
3- use sim-unlock code
4- flash back custom recovery
5- restore nandroid

and just in case, backup everything to PC after step 1.