XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No Videos While on Wi-Fi

Tip us?

cr0wst
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Video [Q] No Videos While on Wi-Fi

When I try to load videos in both the YouTube app and those embedded in the browser or Facebook the videos will not load. This problem only happens while on Wi-Fi. If I turn Wi-Fi off and switch to Cellular Data the videos then load fine. YouTube gives the error "Connection to Server Lost, Touch to Retry" it never reconnects no matter how many times you touch it. All other video errors just say "Sorry, this video cannot be played."

Additional Information: I'm running Android 4.3, just updated last week. No custom firmware, nor is my device rooted. This problem happens on both the Wi-Fi at home and at work.

Any ideas?

amieldl143
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Dude your not alone.. It's the stupid 4.3 update... every time I get home I have to reboot my phone just for wifi to work on YouTube and any video streaming app.. very annoying.. gonna call sprint and report.. you should report it too.. is you nfc working. Mine can't recognize tapping to another phone....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

meatgel
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0wst View Post
When I try to load videos in both the YouTube app and those embedded in the browser or Facebook the videos will not load. This problem only happens while on Wi-Fi. If I turn Wi-Fi off and switch to Cellular Data the videos then load fine. YouTube gives the error "Connection to Server Lost, Touch to Retry" it never reconnects no matter how many times you touch it. All other video errors just say "Sorry, this video cannot be played."

Additional Information: I'm running Android 4.3, just updated last week. No custom firmware, nor is my device rooted. This problem happens on both the Wi-Fi at home and at work.

Any ideas?
This is going to sound stupid, but it worked for me. My YouTube wouldn't work on WiFi and I searched and found some year-old threads that said to update the Google Play Movies and Video. I had that disabled (stock / Sprint / 4.3). I turned it back on and updated it, rebooted the phone and now everything works fine. I left it enabled this time. YMMV I hope this helps.

nikonmikon
Old
(Last edited by nikonmikon; 4th December 2013 at 06:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
My phone is 100% stock, I got the update OTA like an average subscriber would.

I'm having the SAME problem. Youtube DOES NOT WORK on wifi after the update, will only work on 3G/4G (probably 1xRTT too if that even exists anymore).

This includes INSIDE web browsers on the phone like CHROME. This means it's not just the Youtube app but something else causing this problem. The error is immediately displayed when you try to hit play and does not attempt to try to load the video first. What is going on?

amieldl143
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Nikonmikon you just have to reboot each time it doesn't work.. it's annoying for now. I find that when I go to work come back home wifi and streaming videos no go unless I reboot my phone.. I'm on mk2 now and still no fix...

BIGSAMDA1ST
Old
Thanks Meter 181
This might sound a little bizarre but I too was having the wifi issue where I couldn't connect to YT at home or anywhere else at that. I went into the App Manager out of desperation cleared the data, uninstalled it, reinstalled it and it's been working ever since. I know it sounds crazy but it worked for me...

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget,8SMS(Stock Messaging,KitKat)

nikonmikon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by amieldl143 View Post
Nikonmikon you just have to reboot each time it doesn't work.. it's annoying for now. I find that when I go to work come back home wifi and streaming videos no go unless I reboot my phone.. I'm on mk2 now and still no fix...

Rebooting doesn't help. It doesn't work even after rebooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSAMDA1ST View Post
This might sound a little bizarre but I too was having the wifi issue where I couldn't connect to YT at home or anywhere else at that. I went into the App Manager out of desperation cleared the data, uninstalled it, reinstalled it and it's been working ever since. I know it sounds crazy but it worked for me...

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget,8SMS(Stock Messaging,KitKat)
I have completely uninstalled the updates for YouTube and cleared all data, checked it before installing updates. Checked it AFTER installing updates. Doesn't work.

This SUCKS.

BIGSAMDA1ST
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmikon View Post
Rebooting doesn't help. It doesn't work even after rebooting.

I have completely uninstalled the updates for YouTube and cleared all data, checked it before installing updates. Checked it AFTER installing updates. Doesn't work.

This SUCKS.
Yeah..I hear ya...

MrPlain
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same issue, more apps

I have the same problem, but it happens with more than just YouTube. Facebook, Flipboard and a few other apps won't refresh over wifi. I can't even download updates. It started off happening every once in a while, but now it is constant. I have to turn off wifi to do anything. However, I on 4.2 stock and rooted.

Bluegrassman
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Read my updated original post here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559771

Rooted and OTA 4.3, factory reset?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2