XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Carriers Must Now Unlock After Contract Expiration

Tip us?

kamameel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Carriers Must Now Unlock After Contract Expiration

With the new deal struck by the FCC and wireless carriers, article linked below, once someone with a GS4 finishes their two year contract, Verizon will have to offer unlocking tools to the customer, or Verizon will have to unlock the phone themselves. I'm not savvy enough to know, but would carrier unlocked devices end up helping the developer community to unlock other devices still under contract (and thus still locked)? Would it make sense to put out a call to community members to contact a developer once their contract expires and Verizon unlocks their phone for them so that a developer could assist in retrieving files from the unlocked phone to examine?

(I found out I can not attach a link because I'm still too much a new user lol, just google the news story and you'll find it.)

jco897j
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I would like to what kind of "unlock" this is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 96
This is not a bootloader unlock but a carrier unlock meaning you will be free to take it to any other carrier. The point being if you sell your old phone since you have a new phone the buyer isn't restricted to only using Verizon. They should be able to buy the phone and take to whatever carrier they choose to.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

jco897j
Old
Thanks Meter 10
If a change in firmware isn't required to take a device to a carrier that doesn't lock bootloader, the question is could another carrier flash their firmware onto a Verizon device. And if so could you just bring it right back to Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13092
here is an article, http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013...-pressure.html

this is a already published piece of information, and already being discussed in other threads.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe