5,599,478 Members 38,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Nexus 10 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?
Nexus 10 151 68.02%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 71 31.98%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Tip us?
 
RandomAwesomeGuy
Old
(Last edited by RandomAwesomeGuy; 12th January 2013 at 09:31 PM.)
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 32
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Hi, I am looking for a highen tablet and the two that are considered the "best" are the Google Nexus 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. 60% of the time that I will be using this tablet is going to be for android app development and quick reference, ie googling a question. The other 40% is mostly going to be used for school and sometimes games . Any ideas which one I should get? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to RandomAwesomeGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Jotokun
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 229
Posts: 786
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAwesomeGuy View Post
Hi, I am looking for a highen tablet and the two that are considered the "best" are the Google Nexus 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. 60% of the time that I will be using this tablet is going to be for android app development and quick reference, ie googling a question. The other 40% is mostly going to be used for school and sometimes games . Any ideas which one I should get? Thanks.
Unless you really need the wacom tablet features, for you I'd say the Nexus 10 without any hesitation. The Nexus line has developers as a target audience, and it'll be faster to get Android updates. As far as 10" tablets go, there simply is no better option for development. The higher resolution screen and A15 processor also make it more future proof than the Note 10.1.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jotokun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dizzy1k
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 180
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bucharest
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAwesomeGuy View Post
Hi, I am looking for a highen tablet and the two that are considered the "best" are the Google Nexus 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. 60% of the time that I will be using this tablet is going to be for android app development and quick reference, ie googling a question. The other 40% is mostly going to be used for school and sometimes games . Any ideas which one I should get? Thanks.
nexus 10

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Phone : Samsung Galaxy Nexus
OS : Android 4.3
ROM : Cataclysm ROM
 
hoss_n2
Old
#4  
hoss_n2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 283
Posts: 3,232
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: cairo
As long as you posted it in the n10 forum all the comments will say buy n10 because they already prefered it over other devices, same will happen when you post in the note forum , so the best way to know is to try both by yourself and decide, both are the best in market btw so don't go for anything other than them

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app
join us on Arab Xda members foundation

follow me on twitter Hoss for any updates

HTC HD2 --(Experience is our professionô)--Galaxy Note 10.1
Galaxy tab 10.1


©2012 Hoss_n2 Community ô. All rights reserved ,( Hoss_n2 and (Experience is our profession ô) logos are trademarks of Hoss_n2 Community ô

if you like my work , tap thanks button
 
LxMxFxD
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 253
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
I can't really tell you which is better because both are "good" tablets. Neither is great in my opinion, though for me, I preferred the nexus 10 over the note 10.1 (and I own a note phone).

Reasons: Nexus 10 resolution is fantastic but the contrast compared to a superAMOLED screen is pittiful. Nexus 10 displays blacks like greys. Still, the resolution makes up for it because even with my eyeball one inch from the screen, I cannot see a pixel.

Another negative that nexus is probably not so good for developing is 4.2.1. At least half my apps crash on the nexus, or are simply not optimized for the crazy high resolution. While developing for 4.2.1 would be smart, keep in mind that most devices are still on ICS or gingerbread still. When I go to an app in the market half of the 1 star reviews are from people saying it crashes on xxx device running 4.0/2.3 android.

So pick you poison. Luckily the note 10.1 can be found on "deals" for less than the $500+ nexus 10.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Stock. T-mobile $30/mo walmart plan rocks!

Previous: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Hero, Evo 4G, Samsung S II.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LxMxFxD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lKBZl
Old
#6  
lKBZl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 121
Posts: 683
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMxFxD View Post
I can't really tell you which is better because both are "good" tablets. Neither is great in my opinion, though for me, I preferred the nexus 10 over the note 10.1 (and I own a note phone).

Reasons: Nexus 10 resolution is fantastic but the contrast compared to a superAMOLED screen is pittiful. Nexus 10 displays blacks like greys. Still, the resolution makes up for it because even with my eyeball one inch from the screen, I cannot see a pixel.

Another negative that nexus is probably not so good for developing is 4.2.1. At least half my apps crash on the nexus, or are simply not optimized for the crazy high resolution. While developing for 4.2.1 would be smart, keep in mind that most devices are still on ICS or gingerbread still. When I go to an app in the market half of the 1 star reviews are from people saying it crashes on xxx device running 4.0/2.3 android.

So pick you poison. Luckily the note 10.1 can be found on "deals" for less than the $500+ nexus 10.
I pretty agree with this, but my apps don't crash on 4.2.1, none, and nexus 10 costs 400$ and 500$, not only 500$.
The Following User Says Thank You to lKBZl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
specter491
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 191
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pembroke Pines
I would go for the nexus 10. Better screen, better support, fast updates, and no stupid Samsung UI. Oh and the nexus has one of the newest exynos processors.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#8  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3778
Posts: 8,207
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by specter491 View Post
no stupid Samsung UI.
The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more? Back in the days of 512K of RAM when SoCs were slow and overlays crude, poor performance drove people to AOSP/AOKP and de-bloated custom ROMs. That's not really the case anymore. The h/w is now more capable than the UI and apps running on it.

I played with a friendís N10 over the holidays and, feature wise, it was a barren wasteland compared to the Note. The phone UI on a 10" tablet is bizarre. Similarly he was amazed at what the Note could do that his N10 couldn't. The N10 has a faster SoC than the Note but when you factor in the PPI it's pushing and that memory bandwidth is hard-partitioned to support the display it's certainly not any faster. And with app incompatibility because of the resolution some apps behave poorly or donít work at all.

The Note has IO accessories available to match the N10's ports, takes up to a 64GB exFAT SD card for expansion, has an IR port, larger speakers than the N10, and gets significantly better battery life and charges 1/3 faster. It also doesn't have light bleed. Without question the N10 will get updates ten times faster than the Note. But so what, it'll still do 1/3 of the things the Note can do right now. It'll just be Google's barren OS with updates. I've disabled Google Now because I don't use any of their native apps that it depends on to harvest data and for some reason it thinks I work at a McDonalds because I stop at one frequently. As a value-priced consumption device with a great display the N10's a solid choice. For people interested in creating and managing content the Note's a better choice. Its 147PPI display is fine for pics and videos and doesn't require upscaling like the N10's display does. It's obviously not as good for text and computer generated content like the UI and that's a compromise you have to make to get the additional features. So for people looking for something beyond consumption I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Note. It's already sold 5MM units and I'd be surprised based on its limited distribution if the N10's sold 1MM.

OP, if the things in this video mean anything to you consider the Note. If all you care about is consumption and the display the N10's a better choice.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Jotokun
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 229
Posts: 786
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more? Back in the days of 512K of RAM when SoCs were slow and overlays crude, poor performance drove people to AOSP/AOKP and de-bloated custom ROMs. That's not really the case anymore. The h/w is now more capable than the UI and apps running on it.

I played with a friendís N10 over the holidays and, feature wise, it was a barren wasteland compared to the Note. The phone UI on a 10" tablet is bizarre. Similarly he was amazed at what the Note could do that his N10 couldn't. The N10 has a faster SoC than the Note but when you factor in the PPI it's pushing and that memory bandwidth is hard-partitioned to support the display it's certainly not any faster. And with app incompatibility because of the resolution some apps behave poorly or donít work at all.

The Note has IO accessories available to match the N10's ports, takes up to a 64GB exFAT SD card for expansion, has an IR port, larger speakers than the N10, and gets significantly better battery life and charges 1/3 faster. It also doesn't have light bleed. Without question the N10 will get updates ten times faster than the Note. But so what, it'll still do 1/3 of the things the Note can do right now. It'll just be Google's barren OS with updates. I've disabled Google Now because I don't use any of their native apps that it depends on to harvest data and for some reason it thinks I work at a McDonalds because I stop at one frequently. As a value-priced consumption device with a great display the N10's a solid choice. For people interested in creating and managing content the Note's a better choice. Its 147PPI display is fine for pics and videos and doesn't require upscaling like the N10's display does. It's obviously not as good for text and computer generated content like the UI and that's a compromise you have to make to get the additional features. So for people looking for something beyond consumption I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Note. It's already sold 5MM units and I'd be surprised based on its limited distribution if the N10's sold 1MM.

OP, if the things in this video mean anything to you consider the Note. If all you care about is consumption and the display the N10's a better choice.

Just like stock doesnt work for you, Touchwiz simply doesnt work for others. Some dont like it because its ugly, some dont like it because it introduces compatibility problems with apps (a really big concern for this post considering OP is a dev), some dont like them because they slow down the device (more so with Motorola's skins). The only advantage I see with Touchwiz over stock is the multiwindow stuff, and then its nothing that others, be it Google themselves or devs here, couldn't replicate.
Current phone - Nexus 4 16GB (CM10.1 RC2)
Current Tablet - Nexus 10 32GB (CM10.1 Nightly)
Previous devices - Motofail Backflip (CM7.2 Stable), Motofail Atrix 4G (CM10), HP Touchpad (CM9), Asus Transformer TF700 + dock (rooted stock ICS), Nook Color (CM7.1), Samsung Blackjack II (WinMo 6.1)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jotokun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
404 ERROR
Old
(Last edited by 404 ERROR; 11th January 2013 at 10:12 PM.)
#10  
404 ERROR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 318
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
Just like stock doesnt work for you, Touchwiz simply doesnt work for others. Some dont like it because its ugly, some dont like it because it introduces compatibility problems with apps (a really big concern for this post considering OP is a dev), some dont like them because they slow down the device (more so with Motorola's skins). The only advantage I see with Touchwiz over stock is the multiwindow stuff, and then its nothing that others, be it Google themselves or devs here, couldn't replicate.
It also has S-Pen features, but as you said, it really goes both ways.
Also, it's not a question of "can" they do it. It's more of a question of "will" they do it. Just because Google or some dev "can" replicate it, doesn't mean it'll come to the N10.
I'm not siding with either one here, but they both have their merits and faults.

As for app development, I'd think the N10 is a better choice for you mainly because it'll be up to date software-wise for a long long while and you can continue to develop apps.
Verizon Galaxy Note 3 [WHITE]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 404 ERROR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes