XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] replacing factory.zip image for 8 failed boots

Tip us?

mikeataol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] replacing factory.zip image for 8 failed boots

is there a reasonably easy way to replace the factory.zip? (partition 3?)

I have what must be an older color, that if I do the 8 failed boots, it reverts all the way back to software 1.0.0

I find that it wont auto update to 1.4.3.
I have to first apply a 1.2 update, before it will take the stock B&N 1.4.3

(or manually thru cwm apply a 1.3 for example)

its not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer a solution that isnt boot into linux/dd the partition
this is a unit I muck around with, testing various roms, and getting it back to stock just involves a few extra steps.

thanks!

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 6th December 2013 at 03:16 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
The easiest way to get it back to stock is just to flash it directly back with CWM. Go to my NC Tips thread linked in my signature and follow item A15. I have a CWM flashable 1.4.3 there.

However if you want to change the factory zip in partition 3, I can walk you through how to do that. It basically means mounting p3 in a rooted operating system like CM and copying the new zip there.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 here

mikeataol
Old
(Last edited by mikeataol; 6th December 2013 at 04:08 AM.) Reason: additional info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
"However if you want to change the factory zip in partition 3, I can walk you through how to do that. It basically means mounting p3 in a rooted operating system like CM and copying the new zip there."

I'd like to try that if you are willing. Thanks!

I think im pretty experienced.
I have done cm7 / cm10 / on colors/NT many times, have run all the possible scripts you might think of more than once to fix various issues on many colors

one thing Ive noticed on this one after resetting data to the new partition scheme,
that just sort of nags at me, (besides not having a restore to the way I like it from the 8 failed boots)

after Im at 1.4.3 and think Im done, if I do a factory reset from within the stock rom
going to the "factory" screen (and before skipping oobe) seems to flipflop between thinking its got sw 1.0.0 and 1.4.3 , however, the running version in both cases is 1.4.3.

thanks again

----- edit -----

addl info:
I have a CM7 loaded / with the NookColorUMS am able to mount the partition, but have no idea how to maneuver to it, or the format of the zip I'd be dropping in it. (I assume its just a factory rom renamed) On the tablet, cant seem to find the partition after its mounted in either file manager program I've tried, and I've forgotten any real linux/Unix skills I used to have... and it would appear its not usable on the Windows side.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 6th December 2013 at 04:25 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
The zip to use is the one I referenced above in item A15. Just rename it factory.zip.

And since you have the UMS utility, mount p3 in the first section. Then plug in your USB cable to Windows and it should show up as a drive. Look at it with Windows Explorer. You can tell if you are there by seeing the factory.zip. Backup that one to your PC in case something goes wrong. Then copy the new factory.zip on the drive replacing the old one. Be careful with the other files there, especially the rombackup.zip. That is critical and needs to stay there. (In fact back that up to your PC too).

That's it, you're done. Next 8 failed boot you should be on 1.4.3.

Edit: You know instead of doing the 8 failed boot to get back to stock, just do a nandroid backup with CWM while you have stock on it and then you can use that backup for restoring to stock. Much easier.

mikeataol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
" And since you have the ums utility, mount p3 in the first section. Then plug in your USB cable to Windows and it should show up as a drive. Look at it with Windows Explorer."

Yeah, this is where the plan goes south,

anything mounted in UMS doesn't seem to be translated properly for Windows. I get a "you must format the disk" but no additional usable mapped drives.

the internal partitions in the version of cm7 UMS I have are all down below, in the 2nd section
do I have to mount the "big" extended partition first? then in the second tab of UMS the factory p3? (ill try it in a few)

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 6th December 2013 at 04:37 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
No, don't do that. I'll give you alternate instructions.

Go to Terminal Emulator in CM7 and set for superuser (type su enter). Then type these commands.

mkdir /factory

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /factory

The go to /factory with your root file manager.

Proceed as earlier instructed.

Did you see my edit above?

Edit: and the reason your drives are not showing properly in Windows is you must activate UMS in CM7. Pull up your notification area and tell it to allow access after you plug in the cable

mikeataol
Old
(Last edited by mikeataol; 6th December 2013 at 04:42 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
the su/terminal thing is just what I need I think. will report back in 5

re:

"Edit: You know instead of doing the 8 failed boot to get back to stock, just do a nandroid backup with CWM while you have stock on it and then you can use that backup for restoring to stock. Much easier."

Oh, I have no trouble getting em back to stock, and "close" to perfect, but I could sell this unit and 6 months from now I wanna be able to tell the user just do this ( 8 factory failed) , and its good to go, and Im not supporting a rebuild to stock 1.0, then 1.2, or a cwm flash.

Edit2:

re: " Edit: and the reason your drives are not showing properly in Windows is you must activate UMS in CM7. Pull up your notification area and tell it to allow access after you plug in the cable "

Yea, Im doing that. Does one have to disable debugging or something too?
Its not a big deal at all, just didn't have it committed to memory and hasn't been necessary to this point to access the protected partitions.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 6th December 2013 at 04:47 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeataol View Post
the su/terminal thing is just what I need I think. will report back in 5

re:

"Edit: You know instead of doing the 8 failed boot to get back to stock, just do a nandroid backup with CWM while you have stock on it and then you can use that backup for restoring to stock. Much easier."

Oh, I have no trouble getting em back to stock, and "close" to perfect, but I could sell this unit and 6 months from now I wanna be able to tell the user just do this ( 8 factory failed) , and its good to go, and Im not supporting a rebuild to stock 1.0, then 1.2, or a cwm flash.
if you sell or give away your unit, be sure to erase and deregister with stock so it is removed as your device on the B&N servers. Otherwise the new user will not be able to register it. And you know stock recovery must be installed before the 8 failed boot works, right?

Also see my edit above about how to fix ums..... Yes you must disable debugging.

mikeataol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
"Go to Terminal Emulator in CM7 and set for superuser (type su enter). Then type these commands.
mkdir /factory
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /factory"

Hi, I did the whole process twice , just to be sure before coming back... 2nd time was with a newly downloaded copy of the signed A15 zip

Are you sure the factory recovery wants the signed zip file and not the stock?

after 8 failed boots it does a data reset, then tried the factory image reinstall but the factory image reinstall part fails about 1/3rd of the way through

---

had to wing it on the mounting / copy a little as just running terminal put me in a read only file system
but im 100% positive I Installed the signed1.4.3. into factory (backed up the 1.0.0 factory.zip first)

just noting , I DID use the repartition scripts on this prior, setting it to the "new" 5gb data / 1gb media
but it seems to me that the stock recovery isnt liking the signed zip file

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeataol View Post
"Go to Terminal Emulator in CM7 and set for superuser (type su enter). Then type these commands.
mkdir /factory
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /factory"

Hi, I did the whole process twice , just to be sure before coming back... 2nd time was with a newly downloaded copy of the signed A15 zip

Are you sure the factory recovery wants the signed zip file and not the stock?

after 8 failed boots it does a data reset, then tried the factory image reinstall but the factory image reinstall part fails about 1/3rd of the way through

---

had to wing it on the mounting / copy a little as just running terminal put me in a read only file system
but im 100% positive I Installed the signed1.4.3. into factory (backed up the 1.0.0 factory.zip first)

just noting , I DID use the repartition scripts on this prior, setting it to the "new" 5gb data / 1gb media
but it seems to me that the stock recovery isnt liking the signed zip file
That is possible since I modified it. Go get a clean one from B&N. Go their support page and look for update. There will be a link to a big file that ends in .npk. Download that and rename to factory.zip.