5,595,760 Members 40,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does WP sync perfectly with Google?

Tip us?

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Does WP sync perfectly with Google?

Planning on getting an 8x later and was wondering if WP syncs well with google? I rely heavily on my gmail account, contacts and calendar so I need all my devices synchronized.

I understand getting your contacts, calendar and gmail can be done easily with WP8 but will it sync consistently? Like if I change a contact with my phone, all my other android devices will get it too?

lastly, would you recommend the 8x, 920 or the ativ s? I'm on a tight budget and the 920 is still pretty expensive.
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 195
As an 8x owner and Google user, I can say it does work. Replication can be a bit slow as Google has moved away from PUSH technology (ActiveSync) to PULL technology (IMAP).

I would recommend the ATIV S first, then the 8X, then the 920. ATIV S gets the win for the non-capacitive "start" button, the OS is fully unlocked, you can plug SD cards into it, and the T899M variant supports AWS and AWS LTE. (Important if you are on a carrier that uses it). I rank the 920 last because the design sucks. The back isn't curved, and it is fat and not comfortable to hold. There are a lot of people that love the design of the 920, but I find the 8X design to be superior.

hope that helps!

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829 View Post
As an 8x owner and Google user, I can say it does work. Replication can be a bit slow as Google has moved away from PUSH technology (ActiveSync) to PULL technology (IMAP).

I would recommend the ATIV S first, then the 8X, then the 920. ATIV S gets the win for the non-capacitive "start" button, the OS is fully unlocked, you can plug SD cards into it, and the T899M variant supports AWS and AWS LTE. (Important if you are on a carrier that uses it). I rank the 920 last because the design sucks. The back isn't curved, and it is fat and not comfortable to hold. There are a lot of people that love the design of the 920, but I find the 8X design to be superior.

hope that helps!
Replication meaning there's a lag before it syncs? I've been trying to find workarounds and the solutions have been pretty vague. My impression is that you have to migrate to outlook and that it does not sync directly to google.

The 8x is really cheap right now over here but I was surprised you're recommending the ativ S. What do you mean the OS is unlocked?

I'm tempted to get the lumia for the better camera and Nokia Drive though
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 195
the best sync interval you can pick is 15 mins. This means that whenever there is a change on one of your google accounts, it can take up to 15 mins for the changes to replicate back to the phone. This is due to google being lame.

when I say the ATV S is unlocked, I mean you can do fun things like http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2434959. (Look in "Windows Phone 8 General --> Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking").

Nokia has released "Here Drive +" for all devices. If you want to get it for free, you can try out http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2400715
The Following User Says Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Thank you very much for your help. I was planning on getting a Moto g because it's the same price as a second hand wp but I'll prolly get the ativ or 8x instead because they're better specd

I live in the Philippines, will Nokia drive work here with the 8x if I hack?

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 195
yes. just install "Here Drive +" using Fiddler (Details in the "windows Phone 8" --> "Developemnt and hacking" forum. this trick will work on ANY WP8 device) and you will be good to go. I just checked on mine, and "Philippines" is listed as supported.

enjoy your phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829 View Post
yes. just install "Here Drive +" using Fiddler (Details in the "windows Phone 8" --> "Developemnt and hacking" forum. this trick will work on ANY WP8 device) and you will be good to go. I just checked on mine, and "Philippines" is listed as supported.

enjoy your phone!
Thanks bud! I got a sweet deal on the lumia 520 for just 100 dollars and got one lol! But it only has Nokia drive and I'll be going abroad soon so I will be ending the plus app.

I'm still shocked that the lowly 520 works perfectly, better than any android phone at that price range!