Installing a CUSTOM ROM on a phone

Tip us?

Lancerlove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Arrow Installing a CUSTOM ROM on a phone

Hello,

Could anyone help me to install a custom ROM on a smartphone?

I've recently bought a Cosmote Smart Xceed(Romanian Brand) which is just a rebrand of Gionee Elife E5(they are identical). I have no idea about ROMs, CWM or ROOTing, but I would like to be able to flash a custom ROM on it( CM preferably, but anything better than android 4.2.1 will do) . I have already installed CWM and I was able to boot into it. But I have no idea what that means or what I should do from there onwards. Could I get some info about that guys?

Thanks!

divyamg28
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerlove View Post
Hello,

I've recently bought a Cosmote Smart Xceed(Romanian Brand) which is just a rebrand of Gionee Elife E5(they are identical). I have no idea about ROMs, CWM or ROOTing, but I would like to be able to flash a custom ROM on it( CM preferably, but anything better than android 4.2.1 will do) . I have already installed CWM and I was able to boot into it. But I have no idea what that means or what I should do from there onwards. Could I get some info about that guys?

Thanks!
first of all you need to install cwm
then search a custom rom for your device
and the instructions to flash it will be in its description only
Simple!!!
DO TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING
Its Good to THANKS if someone has helped you..!!! You can do by simply pressing the THANKS button

Lancerlove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by divyamg28 View Post
first of all you need to install cwm
then search a custom rom for your device
and the instructions to flash it will be in its description only
Simple!!!
DO TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING
The problem is, I cannot find a custom ROM specifically for my device. Should it be configured only for my device?

divyamg28
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
The problem is, I cannot find a custom ROM specifically for my device. Should it be configured only for my device?
yess...
Its Good to THANKS if someone has helped you..!!! You can do by simply pressing the THANKS button

thepaperescape
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Generally the more popular your device the better chance you have of finding devs that are working on it. It doesn't hurt if it's a flagship device.

bobs158
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperescape View Post
Generally the more popular your device the better chance you have of finding devs that are working on it. It doesn't hurt if it's a flagship device.
after you have installed cwm and have found the rom you want for your phone

go into recovery (cwm or twrp) and go to "back up" and make a back up. second go to wipe and wipe cache then wipe dalvic cache (if your using cmw you will have to go to advanced on the home screen to wipe dalvic cache)
third go back to wipe and wipe system, after that wipe the cache and dalvic cache just like before
And for the final stage go to install, find the rom you want (will be a zip file) and then flash it, when done wipe cache and dalvic cache one more time then reboot
And bam you should have you new custom rom (you dont have to keep wiping the cache and dalvic cache but its recomended)

visionerator
Old
Thanks Meter 2
please be careful. some identical phone isn't really identic.

nexpired
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Gionee Elife E5 Discussion

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
I have the Gionee E5 and having the same issue. There is no developmental work done for this device. I somehow managed to install CWM recovery but not able to find any custom roms or anything for this device. If you find something please let me know and i will do the same if i find any.

astearon
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Same here. I wish CyanogenMod was ported to the e5. Any chance a dev could pick this up?
Had: Xperia X1i-Winmo 6.5 Energy Custom ROM+CM 2.2.1 via SD partition.
Have: Motorola Defy -> Bricked!-> stock 2.2.1 (unofficial deblured)->2.3.3-CM7 Beta->WajkIUI MIUI->KK 4.4 CM11
XCEED(Gionee Elife E5) Stock 4.2 Debranded.

Lancerlove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Another month has passed and still no Custom ROM for this phone. I think I will try to bake my own ROM and add some scripts to it. Will post it here if it's going to be worth it.