5,598,086 Members 42,787 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone use this phone with TracFone?

Tip us?

copota
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Anyone use this phone with TracFone?

Has anyone activated and used the Samsung Epic 4G on TracFone.

I was considering buying one of these, and activating it with TracFone, basically just to use for light mobile voice and data usage, and mostly for WiFi browsing.

TracFone claims you can activate a CDMA phone with them, but researching their site is extremely vague, and I was hoping a TracFone user could shed some light.

I was wondering how much it would cost to activate the phone, if you can use it with a third party ROM, and if you can buy a double the minutes card and use it with this phone.

Thanks for any info.

bilgerryan
Old
(Last edited by bilgerryan; 13th December 2013 at 08:15 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18822

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by copota View Post
Has anyone activated and used the Samsung Epic 4G on TracFone.

I was considering buying one of these, and activating it with TracFone, basically just to use for light mobile voice and data usage, and mostly for WiFi browsing.

TracFone claims you can activate a CDMA phone with them, but researching their site is extremely vague, and I was hoping a TracFone user could shed some light.

I was wondering how much it would cost to activate the phone, if you can use it with a third party ROM, and if you can buy a double the minutes card and use it with this phone.

Thanks for any info.
I haven't heard of anybody using this device with TracFone, but FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile, Boost, Page Plus, and Straight Talk ate confirmed working. I'm on FreedomPop, $12.50 a month for 1GB of data and unlimited talk and text.

copota
Old
(Last edited by copota; 13th December 2013 at 07:20 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
[QUOTE=bilgerryan;48443068]I haven't heard of anybody using introduction with TracFone, but FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile, Boost, Page Plus, and Straight Talk ate confirmed working. I'm on FreedomPop, $12.50 a month for 1GB of data and unlimited talk and text.

Sounds good. Unfortunately FreedomPop is not available in NJ. I'm curious how FreedomPop delivers its access. TracFone simply buys huge amounts of time from ATT and Verizon, then resells it. FreedomPop sounds like a fantastic deal. Best you can get with TracFone is $7 a month, 60 minutes talk/60 texts/60mb data, and thats only possible if you bought a Triple the Minutes phone.

In my area, you can get either TracFone GSM phone (ATT Network which SUCKS), or TracFone CDMA phone (which is Verizon and is rock solid).

Does FreedomPop operate their own towers or do they simply buy time and resell it?

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18822

DONATE TO ME
[QUOTE=copota;48453441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
I haven't heard of anybody using introduction with TracFone, but FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile, Boost, Page Plus, and Straight Talk ate confirmed working. I'm on FreedomPop, $12.50 a month for 1GB of data and unlimited talk and text.

Sounds good. Unfortunately FreedomPop is not available in NJ. I'm curious how FreedomPop delivers its access. TracFone simply buys huge amounts of time from ATT and Verizon, then resells it. FreedomPop sounds like a fantastic deal. Best you can get with TracFone is $7 a month, 60 minutes talk/60 texts/60mb data, and thats only possible if you bought a Triple the Minutes phone.

In my area, you can get either TracFone GSM phone (ATT Network which SUCKS), or TracFone CDMA phone (which is Verizon and is rock solid).

Does FreedomPop operate their own towers or do they simply buy time and resell it?
They use Sprint, if Sprint exists in NJ you're good, they said it wasn't available in my state. But it was $2.50 to try the first month, coverage is exactly the same as with Sprint. Calls and messages are done through a FreedomPop app.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
samsung epic, tracfone