XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MF3, MD5, 4.3...Ive gotten myself lost

Tip us?

lirong
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default MF3, MD5, 4.3...Ive gotten myself lost

I purchased my S4 shortly after its release...around the beginning of the summer.

I immediately rooted it and, at the advice of these forums, froze with Titanium Backup the service that calls for OS updates (so I wouldnt loose the ability to roor, custom backup and ROM). I am running stock ROM on a rooted phone and for now dont intend to put anything custom on.

I know since then there have been a number of updates, none of which I have received as I have frozen my update service.

Im totally unaware of what improvements, if any, these updates may have brought and am wondering whether I should allow AT&T to update my phone (and get whatever benefits come from 4.3, etc.) or whether I should stick to my 4.2.2 which (I think) is the MF3 that people recommended Id want to preserve.

Advice?

Thanks.

failedjedi
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post
I purchased my S4 shortly after its release...around the beginning of the summer.

I immediately rooted it and, at the advice of these forums, froze with Titanium Backup the service that calls for OS updates (so I wouldnt loose the ability to roor, custom backup and ROM). I am running stock ROM on a rooted phone and for now dont intend to put anything custom on.

I know since then there have been a number of updates, none of which I have received as I have frozen my update service.

Im totally unaware of what improvements, if any, these updates may have brought and am wondering whether I should allow AT&T to update my phone (and get whatever benefits come from 4.3, etc.) or whether I should stick to my 4.2.2 which (I think) is the MF3 that people recommended Id want to preserve.

Advice?

Thanks.

If you really have no interest in roms then you can go ahead and update. I'm on mf3 on a rom, so am not 100% sure on root, but it looks like some people have been able to upgrade and keep root, you might want to look more into that. But if you have no interest in roms and you can update and still root then I would say go for it.

However, if you are pre mf3 that's when it becomes tricky. If you are pre mf3 and update you lose a lot of freedom with ROMs. So if you have interest in other roms and are currently pre mf3, I would stick with pre mf3 and not update.

mikew99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

I'm kind of in the same position, and I've been wondering the same thing.

I got my S 4 in May 2013. It came with 4.2.2 on MDL. I immediately rooted and froze the update service. I installed a custom recovery with the intention of exploring newer roms at some point, but I'm not sure what I'm missing by staying on 4.2.2 vs. 4.3. So much of the activity now surrounds the capabilities of 4.3, that I am feeling a bit left out!

bennyboy78
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I'm kind of in the same position, and I've been wondering the same thing.

I got my S 4 in May 2013. It came with 4.2.2 on MDL. I immediately rooted and froze the update service. I installed a custom recovery with the intention of exploring newer roms at some point, but I'm not sure what I'm missing by staying on 4.2.2 vs. 4.3. So much of the activity now surrounds the capabilities of 4.3, that I am feeling a bit left out!
Youre one of the few that actually still have a custom recovery! Use it to your advantage to flash a MK9 rom, as I think thats the latest software version from samsung

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

azuziel
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy78 View Post
Youre one of the few that actually still have a custom recovery! Use it to your advantage to flash a MK9 rom, as I think thats the latest software version from samsung

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
All Canadian variants can run custom recovery. No locked bootloaders in canada. However doing so, does trip knox. If you don't care about knox, and have an sgh-i337m then custom recovery away. This includes latest mk6 jb4.3

Sent from my SGH-I337M

RockRatt
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3383
Here's my $.02
If you STILL have MDB or MDL bootloaders that CAME on your phone keep the same bootloaders and DO NOT UPDATE with the OTA's.
You can find Roms JUST LIKE YOUR ON that are PURE STOCK 4.2.2 MF3 or PURE STOCK 4.3 MK2 without losing any of the functionality of those on the 4.3 or 4.2.2 stock firmwares.
OR you can use some STOCK BASED Roms Like ShoStock-MF3 that has some added benefits WITHOUT sacrificing anything. Or try even NEWER 4.3 Roms Like ShoStock-i 4.3 MK8 with all the added benefits of stock firmwares with some slight added benefits as well. Basically if you keep your original bootloaders you CAN DO anything you WANT without sacrificing what those users lost by upgrading or buying with MF3 or newer already installed.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

jball
Old
Thanks Meter 130
And like "RockRatt" +$.02
I know for myself I haven't been on MDL for a long time so until this nut gets cracked I'm up to date .those that are pre MF3 should hold on to what you have. cause like I tell most normal people that don't mess with there phones like we at XDA do that have a problem with there stock phone.Samsung devs do the same thing as XDA devs do minus the mad improvements/mods , so expect bugs of any sort from either. What I'm getting at is pre MF3 you have the option to find perfection using "Loki".

I will add that the newest update (MK2) runs pretty good

ROOTED ATT MK2 using Tapatalk