XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Network Unlock Galaxy S3 sgh-T999

Tip us?

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] How to Network Unlock Galaxy S3 sgh-T999

I'm a bit of a noob, so apologies if this is in the wrong section. I've had a very difficult time finding threads that focus on those who have (stupidly!) applied the OTA 4.3 jellybean update, and what they can do to network unlock the phone. So here goes:

Samsung Galaxy SIII
SGH-T999
Android Version 4.3
Baseband Version T999UVUEMJC

Stock build. No root.

The closest step-by-step I've come across:

Remove T-Mobile SIM. Replace with ATT SIM. Reboot phone.

*#197328640# which successfully puts me into service mode.

This brings up the following menu:

MAIN MENU
[1]UMTS
[2]CDMA
[3]LTE
[4]SIM

From there its
[1]UMTS
[1] DEBUG SCREEN
[8]PHONE CONTROL
[6]NETWORK UNLOCK
[3]PERSO SHA256 OFF ...

Now, that's as far as I can get. The guide then says to go back to [6] and there should be an option, [4] NV INITIALIZZ.

This option is not there for me. (Note: at this point the PERSO SHA256 status is indeed set to SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG [0]).

Another guide suggested BACKing to the MAIN MENU and selecting option [5] run EFS SYNC() after selecting [3]PERSO SHA256 OFF.

I have done this and the screen reads: SYNC success. please reboot.

I do so, heart aflutter... only to be met with a SIM unlock PIN code entry screen.

Unlock fail.

Other threads have suggested downgrading to 4.1.1 in order for this to work and the necessary options be made available. Most of what I have read has said that attempts to downgrade from OTA 4.3 (with big brother KNOX) will result in a hard brick.

So, if you've made it this far... Has anyone figured out how to SIM unlock this particular phone running OTA 4.3 without rooting/downgrading?

If there is a more suitable thread discussing SIII's that are running 4.3 please direct me there.

Many thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to etrash310 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2354

DONATE TO ME
You could try and flash a 4.1.1 Modem. After that, try the above process.

Note - In that process, you are required to be super patient at each step.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
You could try and flash a 4.1.1 Modem. After that, try the above process.

Note - In that process, you are required to be super patient at each step.
Appreciate the response.

Yes, most of what I have come across has indicated that I would need to get 4.1.1 by hook or by crook in order to network unlock the phone, having upgraded to 4.3.

I have some experience fiddling with such things, but many posts have also indicated that, with the new KNOX package in tow, backing down from 4.3 will hard brick this device. I am hoping that, with access to Service Mode, someone will discover a way to network unlock without root/flashing.

Thanks again!

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2354

DONATE TO ME
Are you Rooted ? If so flashing the LJC modem from Doc's thread won't brick your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Are you Rooted ? If so flashing the LJC modem from Doc's thread won't brick your device.
The phone is not currently rooted, no. Most rooting instructions I've seen are for 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. My guess is I'm going to have to root to unlock...

Could you direct me to instructions for rooting OTA 4.3?

Again, many thanks for taking the time to help.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2354

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrash310 View Post
The phone is not currently rooted, no. Most rooting instructions I've seen are for 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. My guess is I'm going to have to root to unlock...

Could you direct me to instructions for rooting OTA 4.3?

Again, many thanks for taking the time to help.
Follow these. Effectively Flash Custom Rom using ODIN then flash SuperUser Zip.

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Follow these. Effectively Flash Custom Rom using ODIN then flash SuperUser Zip.
Awesome. I will try this tonight.

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Awesome. I will try this tonight.
Well, no luck. Followed all the directions I could (provided by some awesome contributors including Doc) including:

1)Rooting using the aforementioned method and installing 4.3 with SU and no KNOX. Then just flashing stock modem 4.1.1 UVDLJC, in order to reveal the [4] NV INITIALIZZ option that is not present in Servicemode on jellybean 4.3 firmware.

--- This resulted in very slowed down system with no WiFi capability and no startup or shutdown sounds. Logging into Servicemode just resulted in a blank screen that said Servicemode.

--- Ultimately had to emergency restore firmware via KIES. (Thanks to reading a post by Doc on another thread). This got me up and running again.

2) Rooting using aforementioned method. And searching for stock 4.1.1 firmware in order to downgrade...

--- This has proven to be impossible. I can not find stock 4.1.1 anywhere. All links that have turned up have either been dead hotfile.com links or corrupted .zip files.

--- Additionally, I have been informed that once you upgrade to 4.3 OTA it is IMPOSSIBLE to flash an earlier firmware using ODIN. (Is is possible using CWM perhaps?)

In the end, it appears that the jellybean 4.3 OTA update currently has the community stumped as to how to unlock the SGH-T999 for use on another network with your only option to either convince T-Mobile to give you an unlock code or ordering one online. (And I've read of too many folks getting bogus codes ordering online...)

Still having fun trying, and its very cool to see all the hard work and info that folks like Doc are compiling on here. Maybe somebody is on the way to cracking this nut!!!

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2354

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
In the end, it appears that the jellybean 4.3 OTA update currently has the community stumped as to how to unlock the SGH-T999 for use on another network with your only option to either convince T-Mobile to give you an unlock code or ordering one online. (And I've read of too many folks getting bogus codes ordering online...)
So after all that, what is your current Rom and Firmware ? Can you try Root66 of 4.2 Rom ? Doc has Re-Hosted with mirrors.

etrash310
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I followed cLogic's guide that you linked to above and am running 4.3 rooted w/o Knox garbage.

Ended up getting phone network unlocked at a local hole in the wall phone shoppe. Figured it was worth a couple extra bucks to have it unlocked face to face in case code didn't work rather than fish out a reputable online source on my own.

Will be curious to compare its power usage to stock 4.3. Phone is working well, although it seems I will have to play with the APN settings as I am unable to send MMS messages... hmmm. Any advice off the top of your head?

I'd given root66 a try and also gave Doc's reposts another shot, but no dice.

So the sum of my endeavors are as follows:

1) If you want to network unlock your galaxy s3 on your own, DO NOT upgrade to jellybean 4.3 OTA until you do. It does not seem anyone has figured a way to ala ServiceMode in 4.1.1 yet.

2) If you have upgraded to 4.3 OTA you can use cLogic's guide linked to above to root your phone sans Knox.

3) If you have already upgraded to 4.3 OTA and want your phone network unlocked, you will have to pay to have it factory unlocked.

4) XDA is the bomb.