XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting MJ5

Tip us?

jellis98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Rooting MJ5

I am new to android with the Galaxy Note 3 so I apologize for any ignorance in my thread. I have been reading the XDA forums for AT&T Note 3 root methods and I am getting discouraged as it seems that since the MJ5 OTA update all methods dont work. I have also been reading about Kingo and how they are "mining" IMEI and Serial numbers. I am not sure that it matters to me but I am a little paranoid that my "Social Security Number" of my cell phone could be mined and used for evil purposes.

Basically I want to root to
  • Get rid of all the ATT/Sammy Bloatware
  • Use tasker to its full potential
  • add other apps to Pen window

I hope i don't sound like too much of a n00b but I appreciate any assistance any of the great XDA dev's can provide (I have learned a lot about android just reading the forums).

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 338

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis98 View Post
I am new to android with the Galaxy Note 3 so I apologize for any ignorance in my thread. I have been reading the XDA forums for AT&T Note 3 root methods and I am getting discouraged as it seems that since the MJ5 OTA update all methods dont work. I have also been reading about Kingo and how they are "mining" IMEI and Serial numbers. I am not sure that it matters to me but I am a little paranoid that my "Social Security Number" of my cell phone could be mined and used for evil purposes.

I hope i don't sound like too much of a n00b but I appreciate any assistance any of the great XDA dev's can provide (I have learned a lot about android just reading the forums).

Basically you have 2 options... You can either root with Kingo, or you won't have root at all. They seem to stand beside they don't send your IMEI out for bad reasons, but that's totally up to you. Many have rooted with Kingo and so far no complaints that I know of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wish777
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1086

DONATE TO ME
It worked for me...No problems

jellis98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
Basically you have 2 options... You can either root with Kingo, or you won't have root at all. They seem to stand beside they don't send your IMEI out for bad reasons, but that's totally up to you. Many have rooted with Kingo and so far no complaints that I know of.
Do you know if any one is working on a non-toolkit method for rooting?

In general are the XDA devs Ok with Kingo since they came out and publically apologized for the IMEI nonsense and promised to remove it in v2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

blopez24
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I used kingo. Working fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Current
Device: Galaxy Note 2
Rooted

Paulita1
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Paulita1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jellis98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blopez24 View Post
I used kingo. Working fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Did it trip Knox?

Solarenemy68
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Did it trip Knox?
Kingo does not trip knox... I have it on my 900A right now..
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarenemy68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jellis98
Old
(Last edited by jellis98; 13th December 2013 at 01:27 AM.) Reason: adding info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarenemy68 View Post
Kingo does not trip knox... I have it on my 900A right now..
Ok so I downloaded Kingo Root 1.1.5 and its asking me to put the phone in USB Debug mode but its telling me to select my OS which is 4.3 and it only gives me choices for 4.2.2

Nevermind got usb debug mode

jellis98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well I went the Kingo Method .... It worked and did NOT trip knox.

Now I am off to start tinkering!!

Anyone have any suggestions for things to do with ROOT? I am about to write some Tasker Profiles to disable pattern lock at secure locations.