XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock Sprint SPH-L720 Slow after OTA update on 12/16/13

Tip us?

kapwinnnng
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Stock Sprint SPH-L720 Slow after OTA update on 12/16/13

I accidentally accepted an OTA update a couple of days ago that has really killed the performance of my phone G4. It' been very snappy up to this point. Apps take super long to open, and texting lags for several seconds. Reboots don't fix it, and I haven't added any new apps lately. Since the time the phone rebooted after the OTA update is when it's been having issues.

I'm assuming I'll have to root the phone, or wait for another OTA update to fix it. So, here's what I have:

Software version - L720VPUEMK2
Hardware version - L720.08
Android version - 4.3
Baseband version - L720VPUEMK2
Kernel version - 3.4.0-1927016, SE.INFRA@r0301-10 #1, Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013
Build number - JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2
SELinux Status - Enforcing, SEPF_SPH-L720_4.3_0016

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapwinnnng View Post
I accidentally accepted an OTA update a couple of days ago that has really killed the performance of my phone G4. It' been very snappy up to this point. Apps take super long to open, and texting lags for several seconds. Reboots don't fix it, and I haven't added any new apps lately. Since the time the phone rebooted after the OTA update is when it's been having issues.

I'm assuming I'll have to root the phone, or wait for another OTA update to fix it. So, here's what I have:

Software version - L720VPUEMK2
Hardware version - L720.08
Android version - 4.3
Baseband version - L720VPUEMK2
Kernel version - 3.4.0-1927016, SE.INFRA@r0301-10 #1, Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013
Build number - JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2
SELinux Status - Enforcing, SEPF_SPH-L720_4.3_0016
Since you don't have a custom ROM and aren't rooted this question might best be asked on a Sprint Forum.
I'd be that you have a load of stuff starting at startup (account synch's etc.).
My suggestion would be to spend a few days reading through these forums to understand how to root and add a custom recovery to this device.
Then maybe install an app like Titanium Root/Rom Toolbox etc., to look at what's starting, syncing etc and then freeze or uinstall some of the culprits.
Then maybe install a custom ROM - after you've read and read a bunch.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.

kapwinnnng
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I can root it no problem. In fact, this is the first Android device that I haven't rooted (worked pretty well out of the box for my needs!) I was just trying to avoid doing that because I just have the time to reconfigure all of my accounts, transfer data, reinstall apps, software bugs and all that crap...