5,599,337 Members 38,182 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] NEWB GUIDE w/pics TO CHECK MD5

Tip us?

vincom
Old
(Last edited by vincom; 5th February 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3232

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOWTO] NEWB GUIDE w/pics TO CHECK MD5

For Newbs On Howto Check If They Have A Good Download By Checking The Md5 Checksum For A File.
Before Installing/flashing Files To Your Phone Its Good Practice To Check A Files Intergity After A Download Or Better Yet On Your Sdcard After Copying It From Your Computer.
For Now This Guide Is Using Your Computer To Check The Files Integrity But Later I'll Add A Howto By Using The Phone, But No Eta On That As This Method Will Check The Files Intergity While On Your Sdcard.

The Example Im Using Is twrp 2.6.0.0 Tar file From Devhost.
Devhost Posts The Md5 Checksum For All Downloads.
If Theres Is A Sha-1 Checksum(usually Used For Very Large Files) Use That Also If Site Provides It, Devhost Does Not.

On Your Computer Download And Open The md5/sha-1 Utility, It Will Look Like Pic Below.
Click On Browse And Locate The File You Want To Check.
I Highly Recommend That You Copy The File(file Being The One You Want To Check With The Md5 Utility) To Your Phones Sdcard(s) And Browse To That Scdard With The Md5 Utilty, Although On Bigger Files It Might Take Longer To Hash Out The Checksums Because Its On The Sdcard.
The Utility Will Then Spit Out A Md5 And Sha-1 Checksum Number.

You Cannot Repair A File W/a Bad Md5 And/or Sha-1 Checksum.
If It Fails The Md5 Checksum Redownload The File And Test The Md5 Again.
Still Failed, Try Another Browser And/or Theres A Problem With The Server, Try Again Later.
Still Failed, Check The Md5 On The Computer First If Its Good Then Copy It To Your Internal And External Sdcard And Test The Md5 On The Cards And If It Fails On Either Sdcard Then Maybe One Of Your Card Is Going Bad, Copy Its Contents To Your Computer And Format(Fat32) The Card And Try The Procedure Again.
Use The Card That Had A Md5 Match.
If The Md5 Fails On Both Sdards Then It Could Be A Bad Cable And/or Port, Very Unlikely That Both Cards Are Bad But Copy Their Contents To Your Computer And Format(Fat32) Them And Try The Procedure Again.

TWRP 2.6.0.0 TAR FILE FROM DEVHOST.

UPPER/LOWER CASE DOES NOT MATTER

AS YOU CAN SEE THE MD5 CHECKSUM WAS A MATCH.
NOW YOU CAN PROCEED TO FLASH THE FILE

Hit The Thanks Button If Ive Helped

MY SUPERLITE ROMS
CM10.1 & CM10.2
AOKP JB4.3
SL-PAC-Man JB 4.3
CM10 JB 4.1.2
ATT JB 4.1.2
ROGERS JB 4.1.2
MY STICKIES
1 STOP > ROMS | KERNELS | FIRMWARE | RADIOS | RECOVERIES | GUIDES | INFO | & MORE
HOWTO > | RESTORE TO STOCK | USE ODIN | INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT |

Newbs B4 you flash
Read more!!
Read the stickies!!! Search!!!
Once you know what you are doing and are stumped at a certain problem, post in the q&a forum
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrdead72
Old
(Last edited by mrdead72; 14th December 2013 at 09:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
and what to do if they dont match ? also if i cant get the md5 when down loadin ? when i load a rom it show its md5 can i copy then hit paste on the right ? will this fix the (rom) md5 cksum to be used ?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdead72 View Post
and what to do if they dont match ? also if i cant get the md5 when down loadin ? when i load a rom it show its md5 can i copy then hit paste on the right ? will this fix the (rom) md5 cksum to be used ?
If the md5 didn't match re-download it. And no you can't fix it

vincom
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3232

DONATE TO ME
i never thought of explaining about a failed md5 checksum test as i thought it would be obvious as what todo about it, i edited the op w/more info if the md5 did fail

Hit The Thanks Button If Ive Helped

MY SUPERLITE ROMS
CM10.1 & CM10.2
AOKP JB4.3
SL-PAC-Man JB 4.3
CM10 JB 4.1.2
ATT JB 4.1.2
ROGERS JB 4.1.2
MY STICKIES
1 STOP > ROMS | KERNELS | FIRMWARE | RADIOS | RECOVERIES | GUIDES | INFO | & MORE
HOWTO > | RESTORE TO STOCK | USE ODIN | INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT |

Newbs B4 you flash
Read more!!
Read the stickies!!! Search!!!
Once you know what you are doing and are stumped at a certain problem, post in the q&a forum

mrdead72
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks guys just find it weird i cant flash a couple of roms one even has the correct md5 but im still working on it. thanks i never really understood the md5 thing. on another note if the rom comes with a md5 file do i add it to the sdcard ? could this be the reason it wont flash this is on one rom not the case on another one im trying.

xcrazydx
Old
Thanks Meter 2192

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdead72 View Post
thanks guys just find it weird i cant flash a couple of roms one even has the correct md5 but im still working on it. thanks i never really understood the md5 thing. on another note if the rom comes with a md5 file do i add it to the sdcard ? could this be the reason it wont flash this is on one rom not the case on another one im trying.
No

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk