5,597,762 Members 36,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wi-Fi hostspot with enryption (for non-tethering APN)

Tip us?

r00tb33r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb [Q] Wi-Fi hostspot with enryption (for non-tethering APN)

Did anyone get some hotspot app working that doesn't use AT&T tethering APNs? I don't have the hotspot/tethering feature from AT&T on my account, but I got an old version (2.0.7) of this:
https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
working. It creates an AP, and I can connect my laptop to it and browse. My APN stays "wap.cingular" (cause I'm on a legacy data plan).

However that version of tether app doesn't seem to either find WPA supplicant or not able to configure it. Either way, my AP comes up unsecured even though the app thinks it is.

Anything better than this out there that is free?

abrahammmmmmm_
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00tb33r View Post
Did anyone get some hotspot app working that doesn't use AT&T tethering APNs? I don't have the hotspot/tethering feature from AT&T on my account, but I got an old version (2.0.7) of this:
working. It creates an AP, and I can connect my laptop to it and browse. My APN stays "wap.cingular" (cause I'm on a legacy data plan).

However that version of tether app doesn't seem to either find WPA supplicant or not able to configure it. Either way, my AP comes up unsecured even though the app thinks it is.

I've searched and searched but there's nothing I could find. I think jmz had a thread somewhere around here to get WiFi tethering working but I don't know if it worked 100%. the application I use to the tether is via bluetooth but also available through usb using foxfi btw. If that works for you, easy tether might be better depending on what you want

r00tb33r
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00tb33r View Post

Jmz'm method adds APNs into telephony.db and that's the way to tether through provider's (paid) service you have on your account. I can't connect to that APN unless I start paying for that service. To be exact, the network rejects my AT&T sim when I try to connect and I'm left with no data connection of any kind. My sim is only good for "wap.cingular" APN.

This thread is for non-APN tethering methods.

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app
Hardware engineer, researcher.