root china zte U791 with adb on ubuntu
Since I have found many people with problems in "accessing" some android phones from China, I post here few steps I did to succesfully root my ZTE U791 Android 2.3.5 with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) from SDK tools:
1. connect your ZTE device (or any cheap Xling-Ling pda) to the pc (Ubuntu os) with "usb debugging" enabled.
2. run "lsusb" in the terminal shell to find the idVendor: the first 4 numbers #### in the ID field. For exemple, if ID 1782
:5d04 Spreadtrum Communications Inc., the idVendor is 1782,
3. download and extract SDK tools from Developer Android website,
4. edit/create the file adb_usb.ini
running "echo 0x1782 >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini", i.e, insert a line in the adb_usb.ini
file with your idVendor device as 0x####.
5. go to the platform-tools
directory in your "SDK tools" directory.
6. run "sudo ./adb kill-server" and "sudo ./adb start-server" just after.
7. run "./adb devices" and you will see a message output like this:
List of devices attached
Now you are able to access your zte u791 xing-ling device with ADB commands.
I wish this procedure works for any xing-ling device.