XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] First Time

Tip us?

Zhoene
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] First Time

I have never rooted my phone, and now I want to root and flash a new ROM.

But I am looking for a very stable ROM which i can use for many months without having to update it. So which ROMs could i prefer?

If I don't like it can I return to the stack ROM? Do i have to back it up first to be able to that?

If i download a ROM like CM for example; in each update would i loose all the apps and personal informations, or would installing updates of CM ROMs be similar to stock updates which do not effect the apps and personal informations?

I would appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks.

Jok3rxL
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There are many ROMs and every one has different opportunity for USERs, such as performance or daily use, so it is hard to suggest one. But the very stable ones are CM9/10 and those ROMs based on them. You can use one of them. And for your 2nd q, it is possible to go back to your stock. Backup is not necessary but hardly recommended. And for 3rd q, if you choose one of ROMs titled ''EOL'' you won't need to upgrade it, but when you prefer Alpha or Beta ROMs, upgrading won't delete any apps or data as long as you don't any ''Wipe Data or Format''

Zhoene
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok3rxL View Post
There are many ROMs and every one has different opportunity for USERs, such as performance or daily use, so it is hard to suggest one. But the very stable ones are CM9/10 and those ROMs based on them. You can use one of them. And for your 2nd q, it is possible to go back to your stock. Backup is not necessary but hardly recommended. And for 3rd q, if you choose one of ROMs titled ''EOL'' you won't need to upgrade it, but when you prefer Alpha or Beta ROMs, upgrading won't delete any apps or data as long as you don't any ''Wipe Data or Format''
Thanks.

So if I don't wipe data can i switch between all the ROMs without loosing the apps or having to reinstall them once again?

Jok3rxL
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nope, it is just for upgrading current ROM such as from CM10.1 Beta 1 to CM10.1 Beta 2. But if you change ROM you need wipe data and other things because apps and data of previous ROM generally make some problems like FC App etc. when restored.

So you can just upgrade your ROM to upper version by doing only Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache but while changing ROM you have to do full wipe (inc. Data, dalvik etc.) and this ofcourse delete all of Apps. However you can use some apps (Appsaver for example) for backing-up apk files of your apps so you wont need any connection to re-install them. It backs up apk files of apps you choose then you only install them via any file manager.

dec0der
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoene View Post
I have never rooted my phone, and now I want to root and flash a new ROM.

But I am looking for a very stable ROM which i can use for many months without having to update it. So which ROMs could i prefer?

If I don't like it can I return to the stack ROM? Do i have to back it up first to be able to that?

If i download a ROM like CM for example; in each update would i loose all the apps and personal informations, or would installing updates of CM ROMs be similar to stock updates which do not effect the apps and personal informations?

I would appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks.
First of all, i believed that there's no "very stable ROM" even with stock. Which ROM? it depends on your daily use, which you prefer battery life, performance, etc. You can always go back to stock ROM if you want just be sure you know how to do it. You can make a back-up of your entire stock ROM or just important files in external sd card like you messages and contacts. It depends actually on you on how you will do the ROM update but it is recommended to do clean installation to avoid problems.
Phone : Samsung Galaxy W GT-I8150 @I8150DXLM2_SMART
ROM : [ROM][KK][4.4.2][KVT49L] CyanogenMod 11.0 b-20140413 (UNOFFICIAL)
Kernel ​: Stock @ Interactive-BFQ / 386-1024MHz
Recovery : ClockworkMod v6.0.4.5
Mod/ Tweak : Nova Launcher, Performance Control, Greenify *ROOT*, JellyToast, Picture2SD

[THEMED/ CUSTOM][CM11]MMS.APK w/ Speech bubbles, Holo, Emoji, Inverted