XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pebble Smartwatch Causing Bluetooth Sound Artifacts

Tip us?

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default Pebble Smartwatch Causing Bluetooth Sound Artifacts

Since upgrading to 4.3 on my Note Ii, I have noticed that when the pebble is connected to my phone, it causes the sound quality to diminish significantly when using my Bluebuds X bluetooth earphones. Sort of like resembling a low bitrate MP3.

This doesn't seem to be a problem on the Nexus 4 or on the 4.1.2 version of Android that was on my Note II before. It feels to me that when the pebble is connected, the buggy and broken bluetooth drivers switch to a low bitpool version of A2DP which sound like complete and utter cack. It reverts back to better quality (perhaps APT-X) when the pebble is disconnected.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, as it is a bit of a dealbreaker for me and, quite frankly, a massive massive pain in the ass which is prohibiting me enjoying the phone & pebble properly. The only thing stopping me switching to a different phone like the HTC One or Xperia Compact is that I can't be sure the bluetooth doesn't also have the same problem on those, as they are also on 4.3.

Thank you for any help.
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, LG Nexus 4

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Just tested this on a HTC One (also on 4.3) and it has the exact same issue. Seems to be a problem with Android itself.

I hope the Kit Kat update gets a move on...

Previous Devices: HTC Wizard, HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Desire Z, iPhone 3G, HTC Mozart, HTC EVO 3D, HTC Trophy, iPhone 4, HTC One S, iPhone 4S

fade2black101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Just tested this on a 4.4.2 HTC One and the sound artefacts are still there with the Bluebuds X when the pebble is connected.

This is most disappointing as it now means I'll have to sell my Pebble given my lack of hope that a Kit Kat update on the Note II will fix this incredibly annoying issue. Yet it seems to work fine on a Nexus 4...

Android can be such a mess sometimes!