5,595,964 Members 31,452 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S4 - Contacts - Last Name First - How?

Tip us?

kmoulds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] S4 - Contacts - Last Name First - How?

Hello All

I just bought a new stock S4 and syned my contacts with Google. Unfortunately the Contacts List displays First name first but I want to display Last Name First. I've searched the Forum on this issue with no luck and I've tried looking at every setting I can on the device and also no luck. My old S3 and Jelly Bean 4.2.1 allowed this option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Kym

Dean-xXx
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
Go to Contacts > Settings > Display contacts by > and you have option for ,,Family name first''
Don't Forget To Press Thanks If Helped You.

Galaxy S4 i9505 Black Mist
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue > Stolen

kmoulds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-xXx View Post
Go to Contacts > Settings > Display contacts by > and you have option for ,,Family name first''
Thanks for the quick reply Dean but when I go to Settings the only 4 options are "Contacts with Phones", "Service numbers", "Contact Sharing Settings" and "Online Search". Definitely nothing about Family Names First.

What you have described is on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and is on my old S3 but not on the S4 running 4.2.2.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers Kym

Dean-xXx
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
This is on my S4 running on MDM 4.2.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130530_162819.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	2004241  
Don't Forget To Press Thanks If Helped You.

Galaxy S4 i9505 Black Mist
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue > Stolen

kmoulds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-xXx View Post
This is on my S4 running on MDM 4.2.2.
Thanks again Dean.

Below is a photo of my Settings screen for "Contacts". It is different to yours. It might be because I purchased my from the Net from Hong Kong. When I got it I had to change the language over from Chinese to English.

Again thanks very much for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S4 GT-19505.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	2005138  

wadski
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoulds View Post
Thanks again Dean.

Below is a photo of my Settings screen for "Contacts". It is different to yours. It might be because I purchased my from the Net from Hong Kong. When I got it I had to change the language over from Chinese to English.

Again thanks very much for your time.
Mine has only three settings - "Only contacts with phone", "Service numbers" and "Contact sharing settings". I wonder whether this is caused by changing the language setting from Chinese to English or a bug in the firmware.

Anyway, I my contacts list is stuck at first name first and I can't change to last name first and this irritates me. Any solutions?

RFriberg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Z1, same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadski View Post
Mine has only three settings - "Only contacts with phone", "Service numbers" and "Contact sharing settings". I wonder whether this is caused by changing the language setting from Chinese to English or a bug in the firmware.

Anyway, I my contacts list is stuck at first name first and I can't change to last name first and this irritates me. Any solutions?
I'm running Sony Z1, but I have the same problem and same screen as you. Running 4.2.2.

/R

jychan28
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoulds View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Dean but when I go to Settings the only 4 options are "Contacts with Phones", "Service numbers", "Contact Sharing Settings" and "Online Search". Definitely nothing about Family Names First.

What you have described is on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and is on my old S3 but not on the S4 running 4.2.2.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers Kym
Hi, since I had the same problem and my recollection was I could fix it before but forgot how. It took me a half day and finally it came back to me by keep looking at a Chinese forum. It mentioned about how to add a T9 search feature on the S4 based on Chinese spelling.

Here is how to solve the problem:

First you need to root the phone.
Install an app called Root Explorer (because you need to edit a file)
Then
Use Root Explorer go to system/csc -> feature.xml or others.xml

Change >TRUE< to >FALSE< of following line:

<CscFeature_Contact_DisableMenuNameOrder>true</CscFeature_Contact_DisableMenuNameOrder>

Reboot the machine, and you will see the option let you select to display order for Last Name or First Name.
Computer Junkie -

iPad Mini 32G with iOS 6.1 (jailbroken)
iPhone5 x2 with iOS 6.1.2 (jailbroken)
iPhone5S x2 with iOS 7.0.4
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9502 with GT-I9502ZNUCMH4 Googled+no Bloat (Rooted)

kmoulds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jychan28 View Post
Hi, since I had the same problem and my recollection was I could fix it before but forgot how. It took me a half day and finally it came back to me by keep looking at a Chinese forum. It mentioned about how to add a T9 search feature on the S4 based on Chinese spelling.

Here is how to solve the problem:

First you need to root the phone.
Install an app called Root Explorer (because you need to edit a file)
Then
Use Root Explorer go to system/csc -> feature.xml or others.xml

Change >TRUE< to >FALSE< of following line:

<CscFeature_Contact_DisableMenuNameOrder>true</CscFeature_Contact_DisableMenuNameOrder>

Reboot the machine, and you will see the option let you select to display order for Last Name or First Name.
Thanks for the reply but in the end I returned the unit and bought one that had the Last Name First and First Name last in the Contacts.

Tags
contacts, first name, last name