XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

So we have Trim already?

Tip us?

thas5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default So we have Trim already?

So as many of you already know, Trim was something introduced in Android 4.3 that apparently made many devices quite a bit faster. Pardon my ignorance, but is this what I'm look at here on my tablet or is this something else?

Mr. bird
Old
Thanks Meter 120
That's video editing

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by thas5 View Post
... Trim was something introduced in Android 4.3 that apparently made many devices quite a bit faster. Pardon my ignorance, but is this what I'm look at here on my tablet or is this something else?
Yeah, you're confusing the two. The "Trim" you're thinking of is also called "Discard", and it's a feature of the EXT4 filesystem for Linux that's used on our tablets to let the SSD know when it can internally reclaim blocks of Flash memory that Linux isn't using any longer, which helps the internal EMMC Flash device we have stay fast.

Fear not, it's turned on in our devices already.
Kenny Crudup - BSP/Kernel Dev
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G on AT&T
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
(Save your "Thanks"; couldn't care less)
The Following User Says Thank You to kcrudup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thas5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
Yeah, you're confusing the two. The "Trim" you're thinking of is also called "Discard", and it's a feature of the EXT4 filesystem for Linux that's used on our tablets to let the SSD know when it can internally reclaim blocks of Flash memory that Linux isn't using any longer, which helps the internal EMMC Flash device we have stay fast.

Fear not, it's turned on in our devices already.
Okay then, this thread turned up to be a flop, but I'm glad I learned something interesting out of it. Thank you.

kcrudup
Old
Thanks Meter 697
No problem, glad I could help. But I had no idea that app was there, and it appears to be related to the Video Editor ("com.lifevibes.trimapp").
Kenny Crudup - BSP/Kernel Dev
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G on AT&T
HTC First on Net10/AT&T
(Save your "Thanks"; couldn't care less)

klau1
Old
(Last edited by klau1; 16th December 2013 at 07:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 335
Good question, and your supposed "evidence" of TRIM was a great LOL , which is great. Don't feel stupid, there's a first time for everyone. But thanks for the LOL

Please Thanks if it helped!

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications: