[q] please help! Droid dna on straight talk!

Search This thread

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
I been doing alot of research before switching to straight talk with my dna

straight now offers lte with the att gsm sim

i activated my account yesterday but all i seem to get is att edge wihich is like 2g super slow!! I have internet but i cant download or send mms! And the straight talk reps are retarded!

Ive seen others post saying that they are getting hspa+ and fast 3g

i have the default apn settings that they told me to enter in and told me that there is no problem with the coverage in my area..

So my question is my dna in gsm unlocked how come im not getting the data speeds that i want??

Anybody has any new apns to share?

Please help!! Thanks!!! I been looking everywhere for answers and seem to not get any!

Last edited:

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
You wont be able to get At&T Lte with a Droid Dna,you will be limited to HSPA+ which is kinda like 3.5G LOL.

Did you change the APN settings, that is usually what you need to do.

I do not want to post links to other forums,so just Google " Straight Talk HSPA+ settings At&t " and you will find your answers.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

You wont be able to get At&T Lte with a Droid Dna,you will be limited to HSPA+ which is kinda like 3.5G LOL.

I do not want to post links to other forums,so just Google " Straight Talk HSPA+ settings At&t " and you will find your answers.

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

If it's not the APN It's probably the radio mode. If it's not set to WCDMA you will only get edge over GSM. In viper Rom there is access to this menu in tweaks. If you're on stock sense the dialer code is *#*#4636#*#* That code isn't guaranteed to work but if the radio mode is on GSM ONLY then you won't get HSPA+ The reason the DNA doesn't receive Straight Talk LTE is because it doesn't support the band. An at&t unlocked lte phone would though like an HTC One or what have you.

Your APN should be "tfdata"

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013

yes ive changed the apn numerous times looking up different apn to input but still nothing still stuck on edge!

ive seen videos of dna getting HSPA i dont know how i dont have it im in Grand Rapids, MI where coverage is superb for LTE HSPA so idk what else is there to do

I just bought Att GoPhone Just now prepaid and they said LTE too and i activated and im still on Edge network! so im like clue less now -_-

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
Hmm,I dont know honestly.

I have a Droid Dna on at&t and soon as I popped in my sim and changed the settings to GSM I was getting HSPA speeds.

Are you running stock or on some custom rom?

When you go to settings ,go to Call,Preferred Network,make sure GSM/UMTS is checked,press it and make sure GSM/UMTS DUAL is checked.

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
Hmm,I dont know honestly.

I have a Droid Dna on at&t and soon as I popped in my sim and changed the settings to GSM I was getting HSPA speeds.

When you go to settings ,go to Call,Preferred Network,make sure GSM/UMTS is checked,press it and make sure GSM/UMTS DUAL is checked.

no root or custom roms just stock android!

ohh i have gsm only checked! hmmmmmm... can you post your apn settings? thanks

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
hmm,i dont know honestly.

I have a droid dna on at&t and soon as i popped in my sim and changed the settings to gsm i was getting hspa speeds.

When you go to settings ,go to call,preferred network,make sure gsm/umts is checked,press it and make sure gsm/umts dual is checked.

omg it worked! Switching it to dual band! Thankkk you!! I was so stuck!!!

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
no problem. glad it worked for you. if you get a chance,can you run a speednet test and tell us your speeds?

sucks about not being able to use LTE but its a trade off I guess,the DNA is a great phone.

Speeds are great greater then expected lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-15-05-47-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-15-05-47-07.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 459

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
no problem. glad it worked for you. if you get a chance,can you run a speednet test and tell us your speeds?

sucks about not being able to use LTE but its a trade off I guess,the DNA is a great phone.

Okay I ran into another problem... Everything works fine....data calls and text... But I can't get mms?? It won't send or download when sent from another phone? Apn settings are correct and straight talk techs don't know wtf going on sooooo...sayin it's my phone not there service??

tomtrangrmi

Oct 29, 2013
Yes its your phone. I had the problem too when I had the DNA. U need to flash a gsm based rom on this phone to make it work. Google is your friend in this case . Search google knows everything.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

dang man...i dont really like to flash roms and stuff i know how to root and everything but yea.... dang... so im SOL with the Pic mail? thank ful for instagram direct then lol

thanks agsain tho apprecaite the help

djelement1

Mar 10, 2012
dang man...i dont really like to flash roms and stuff i know how to root and everything but yea.... dang... so im SOL with the Pic mail? thank ful for instagram direct then lol

thanks agsain tho apprecaite the help

Try downloading Go SMS from the play store. Its been awhile since I was stock, but I believe that was the only way i could do mms when stock. I'm on AT&T

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA
No MMS with stock messaging app is a known issue for the majority of Straight Talk users. Straight Talk has never addressed the issue. The only app that has ever worked for me is GOSMS.

enigma2446

Jan 12, 2013
Florence, Montana
Google Pixel 6
No MMS with stock messaging app is a known issue for the majority of Straight Talk users. Straight Talk has never addressed the issue. The only app that has ever worked for me is GOSMS.

Weird I don't have any issues with the mms in stock app. I'm a little compulsive when setting up me service I always make sure the apn settings are set to gsm/WCDMA AUTO. Then go to my stock app and clear the data and cache, then go into the app itself then settings an set under mms the max size, then enable auto relieve and enable retrieve when roaming. Then boot to recovery clear delvik and cache then reboot... Hope any of that helps.

< Coming to you live from the planet One X >

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA
Weird I don't have any issues with the mms in stock app. I'm a little compulsive when setting up me service I always make sure the apn settings are set to gsm/WCDMA AUTO. Then go to my stock app and clear the data and cache, then go into the app itself then settings an set under mms the max size, then enable auto relieve and enable retrieve when roaming. Then boot to recovery clear delvik and cache then reboot... Hope any of that helps.

What's your APN setting so I can try. I've tried every one posted in online forums and it has never worked for me and a large number of other people.

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA
They are the same as what St gives you but I do leave the proxy and port blank... And I'm on a viper Rom.

The MMS proxy and port or the APN proxy and port. There are seperate fields for all 4. Here's what I have

APN : tfdata
PROXY : BLANK
PORT: BLANK
MMSC : http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY : mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT : 80
APN TYPE : mms

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

The MMS proxy and port or the APN proxy and port. There are seperate fields for all 4. Here's what I have

APN : tfdata
PROXY : BLANK
PORT: BLANK
MMSC : http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY : mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT : 80
APN TYPE : mms

Tried deleting mms proxy and port, nothing. Messages never go through it just hangs with the little htc mms icon with the clock. If someone sends me one it shows up but says download but pushing it never downloads the message. I can see my data signal as active when I'm trying to send but it never goes through. Gosms always downloads them.