5,594,653 Members 33,296 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cast to receiver, but audio stops if attached TV powered off

Tip us?

The111
Old
(Last edited by The111; 14th December 2013 at 10:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default Cast to receiver, but audio stops if attached TV powered off

My Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI input on my home theater receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) and powered externally from the wall. The HDMI output goes to my TV (6-yr old Samsung LNT4042H). I am streaming a browser tab (playing Grooveshark audio) to my home theater. Everything works fine, but I don't want to leave my TV on since I'm only listening to music. But when I turn the TV off, the audio stops too. Very perplexing, I'm not even sure whether or not to blame the Chromecast or the receiver, but I'm leaning toward the former (still no clue how to fix it though).

Any ideas? Thanks!

grosmouton
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Weird. DotÚs the TV INPUT to the hometheater ?

Sent from my X506-3G using xda app-developers app

The111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by grosmouton View Post
Weird. DotÚs the TV INPUT to the hometheater ?

Sent from my X506-3G using xda app-developers app
No. Weirder still, if the TV is already off when I start casting, it will cast successfully for a little while, but eventually the audio will cut out. If I then turn TV on, audio will come back.

mjdavis871
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by The111 View Post
My Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI input on my home theater receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) and powered externally from the wall. The HDMI output goes to my TV (6-yr old Samsung LNT4042H). I am streaming a browser tab (playing Grooveshark audio) to my home theater. Everything works fine, but I don't want to leave my TV on since I'm only listening to music. But when I turn the TV off, the audio stops too. Very perplexing, I'm not even sure whether or not to blame the Chromecast or the receiver, but I'm leaning toward the former (still no clue how to fix it though).

Any ideas? Thanks!
Do you have the USB plugged into the TV??

Sent from my Eclipsed Galaxy S4

The111
Old
(Last edited by The111; 14th December 2013 at 10:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdavis871 View Post

Nope, powered externally from wall as mentioned in OP. Although admittedly I did add that in an edit so even though you quoted it, perhaps you read before I added it.

Another weird observation... if I put my TV to another input, it works fine. This is almost a perfect workaround since if I put TV to a dead input, it is almost as good as being powered off. Not quite though.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nope, powered externally from wall as mentioned in OP. Although admittedly I did add that in an edit so even though you quoted it, perhaps you read before I added it.

Another weird observation... if I put my TV to another input, it works fine. This is almost a perfect workaround since if I put TV to a dead input, it is almost as good as being powered off. Not quite though.
Sounds like either your receiver is "noticing" that the TV is off and going into some power save or something (check for input detection or options on a particular input), or your TV is doing the audio decode and feeding it back to your receiver via Audio Return Channel (ARC).

The latter is less likely simply because you get some audio at the start when the TV is off.

I tried looking in your receiver's manual, but it seems pretty complex (and powerful).
This page will let you download the manual without registering for a Yamaha account:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1645661
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdavis871 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Sounds like either your receiver is "noticing" that the TV is off and going into some power save or something (check for input detection or options on a particular input), or your TV is doing the audio decode and feeding it back to your receiver via Audio Return Channel (ARC).

The latter is less likely simply because you get some audio at the start when the TV is off.

I tried looking in your receiver's manual, but it seems pretty complex (and powerful).
This page will let you download the manual without registering for a Yamaha account:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1645661
It does seem to be the receiver at fault, since I've tested and it happens with other HDMI sources. Went through the entire manual and tried changing every option that seemed like it might be related... no luck. Will continue my search elsewhere since this does not seem to be Chromecast related. Thanks anyway.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It does seem to be the receiver at fault, since I've tested and it happens with other HDMI sources. Went through the entire manual and tried changing every option that seemed like it might be related... no luck. Will continue my search elsewhere since this does not seem to be Chromecast related. Thanks anyway.
Probably something that can keep the HDMI connection alive, like Dr. HDMI or HDMI Detective might work, though I'd see about borrowing or trying one before spending money on it if possible.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

The111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Probably something that can keep the HDMI connection alive, like Dr. HDMI or HDMI Detective might work, though I'd see about borrowing or trying one before spending money on it if possible.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
Maybe that would work, but so does the complete opposite (killing the connection 100%). I've found that if I totally unplug my TV, then it works fine. The problem is that when the TV is "off" it is actually in standby mode which must still draw some power, and the receiver is aware of this via the HDMI connection, and for some dumb reason chooses to stop the audio stream because of it. If I unplug the TV, then the receiver loses awareness of it entirely and decides to play the audio again. Very stupid, but solvable for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-Extensio...dp/B000KKND86/

I currently manually push the TV power button to turn it off... now I just have to use that button instead to totally cut it off from power.

I believe the receiver is to blame... but easier to spend $10 than try to make Yamaha fix a problem.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If I unplug the TV, then the receiver loses awareness of it entirely and decides to play the audio again. Very stupid, but solvable for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-Extensio...dp/B000KKND86/

I currently manually push the TV power button to turn it off... now I just have to use that button instead to totally cut it off from power.

I believe the receiver is to blame... but easier to spend $10 than try to make Yamaha fix a problem.
If you can find an IR-triggered power cut off and you have a learning remote, you may be able to teach one of your remote buttons the signal and avoid getting up (yeah, I'm lazy).

Reminds me of the joke "if you lend someone $20 and never see them again, it might be $20 well spent."