XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MMS wont's send when on WiFi

Tip us?

Mr Frog
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [Q] MMS wont's send when on WiFi

I have a unrooted s4 and it will not send mms messages when connected to wifi. I have to turn wifi off for the mms to send. I looked for some auto retrieve/send mms setting but couldn't find any. Anybody have any ideas what I can do?

mexiken
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Can anyone else confirm this???? If so, please do, so i can submit this bug to Samsung.

I can't really test it myself, i have poor signal in my apt. The few times i have received at home it's worked fine. Haven't tried sending.
Current: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V)
Fully stock

Current: Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-i545)
ROM: CM 11 Nightly Builds
Radios: MK2

dansan382
Old
Thanks Meter 65
last time i checked, MMS dont send via wifi. it goes via cell signal/data never worked when i was on my nexus. even now, when using Go SMS on my S4 i notice when i send a MMS while on wifi i can see the 3G/4G icon turn on just to send the picture then turn off
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB - CM 10.1.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW - Gone
Nexus 7 32GB - Gone
HTC Thunderbolt - Gone
Motorola OG Droid - Gone

brizey
Old
Thanks Meter 303
I have used it at home while on Wi-Fi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansan382 View Post
last time i checked, MMS dont send via wifi. it goes via cell signal/data never worked when i was on my nexus. even now, when using Go SMS on my S4 i notice when i send a MMS while on wifi i can see the 3G/4G icon turn on just to send the picture then turn off
The OP was not expecting it to use Wi-Fi. He was expecting it to work while Wi-Fi was connected.

chasescott66
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My MMS is working while WiFi is on, but the MMS doesn't actually use WiFi to send the message, it is sent via the cell/data signal.

dansan382
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey View Post
I have used it at home while on Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

The OP was not expecting it to use Wi-Fi. He was expecting it to work while Wi-Fi was connected.

the problem may be when using the stock SMS app it may not send over wifi. when you're connected to wifi the phone defaults to sending everything it can via data that can be sent. are you using the stock SMS app?

i just tried to do it with stock SMS and the second i went to attach a photo, it disconnected my wifi to grab 3G/4G to send the photo. once it was done, it jumped back on wifi
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB - CM 10.1.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW - Gone
Nexus 7 32GB - Gone
HTC Thunderbolt - Gone
Motorola OG Droid - Gone

chrishoyt2012
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Cell tower issue....low signal issue? Dont contact Samsung until you try your phone in other places. Drive...if your old enough down the road like 5 miles...see if the mms goes through. Call Verizon and see if they are having issues with that tower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Pitbul2186
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frog View Post
I have a unrooted s4 and it will not send mms messages when connected to wifi. I have to turn wifi off for the mms to send. I looked for some auto retrieve/send mms setting but couldn't find any. Anybody have any ideas what I can do?
I've never been able to send MMS through WIFI. So I always just thought it was something Verizon did to make you use more Data. If anyone knows a way around this. Would love to know as well.

Yonaton1
Old
(Last edited by Yonaton1; 5th June 2013 at 01:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same Issue

I am having the same issue when i am connected to WiFi in my house. No MMS will send. Once i turn off WiFI the MMS will go through. I have Data turned on as well) My tower strength is fine. Any ideas how to solve this? I am running a Verizon GS4.

galaxyzalaxy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
oh thank god someone else is having this issue. it's DRIVING ME NUTS!! sorry to not have any additional information but you are not alone :-/