XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sense vs AOSP Roms

Tip us?

detonation
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Default Sense vs AOSP Roms

Searched and I was surprised there was no main thread comparing and discussing the differences between Sense and AOSP roms like a lot of other device sub forums have. I've been running a Sense 5 rom since I got my DNA a few months ago but have been itching to switch to AOSP. However I have a few questions.

In my past experience with other devices, native ROMs (in this case Sense based) usually work a little better in terms of things like battery life, signal, and stability. Is this the same for the DNA?

Other things I'm concerned about
-Camera: IMO the Sense camera is way better than the AOSP. I can deal with the loss of software features, but is the picture quality still as good?
-Sound: Beats is mostly just an equalizer gimmick, but the DNA is loud and overall sounds great. I briefly ran an AOSP rom and the first thing I noticed was the sounds was distorted at high levels. I also found this thread which echos my problem. Is this still an issue?
Droid > Droid Incredible > Droid X > Galaxy Nexus > Droid Razr Maxx > Galaxy S3 > Droid DNA > Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to detonation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

starscream86
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
I'd say in my opinion you are spot on with the sense vs aosp in the aspect of aosp issues! Just MY OPINION AND PERSONAL FINDINGS! I love Aosp but I do think it lacked some of the "stock, supposed to be there" kind of feeling I get with sense.. I have been running the CM 11 nightlies for quite a while now. I don't know about pic quality for sure. If there is a difference it's not noticeable to me. I do think I get better battery on sense but signal and stability are basically equal..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Phones:
HTC DROID DNA
HTC Thunderbolt - retired
MOTO DROiD - retired

my motto... "If it ain't broken... Fix it till it is"

webeougher
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I haven't run an AOSP rom since I first flashed NOS Google Play Edition. No matter how strong the temptation to try KitKat, the lower external speaker volume on the AOSP roms that I tried, combined with the inability to use Google Sound Search, Soundhound, or Shazam, ultimately made me stick with a rom using the Sense kernel. But, since I can't stand Sense, I'm sticking with GPE Roms, no matter how delayed they may be.

Sent from my DLX using xda app-developers app

Watercycle
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I've just been on CM11 today after only using sense 5. I can say I already miss blinkfeed, and can already assume the battery will be worse, but everything else seems the same. It's worth trying. I'm rather fond of the Google integration.

jamiethemorris
Old
Thanks Meter 623

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercycle View Post
I've just been on CM11 today after only using sense 5. I can say I already miss blinkfeed, and can already assume the battery will be worse, but everything else seems the same. It's worth trying. I'm rather fond of the Google integration.
The battery is way better when the screen is off, but probably worse than sense when the screen is on. I don't usually have more than 2 and a half hours of screen time in a day, but I typically get about 18 hours of battery on crpalmer's cm11 kernel. Also as far as cameras go, I love camera jb+. Stock aosp camera with some extra features, my favorite being the 6mp setting because it gives me full screen 16:9 pictures. Focal is great too and shows a lot if potential, but it's really unstable.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk Pro
If you feel that I have been helpful to you, instead of clicking my "thanks" button, check out my music:
Manic Harmonic
Fan Page

orangechoochoo
Old
Thanks Meter 559
The only problem I have with CM based roms is the low volume when recording videos. Otherwise no problems. Battery, signal, speaker volume, etc are are on par or better than Sense plus the snappiness and customizability are great. There may be a couple apps that don't work well with CM ROMs but I don't use those particular apps so it's not a problem for me.

I've been running Carbon 4.3 for the last two months. I have not tried a KK ROM since all the features have not been implemented yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to orangechoochoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crpalmer
Old
Thanks Meter 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechoochoo View Post
The only problem I have with CM based roms is the low volume when recording videos. Otherwise no problems. Battery, signal, speaker volume, etc are are on par or better than Sense plus the snappiness and customizability are great. There may be a couple apps that don't work well with CM ROMs but I don't use those particular apps so it's not a problem for me.

I've been running Carbon 4.3 for the last two months. I have not tried a KK ROM since all the features have not been implemented yet.
FYI, the camcorder volume should be much better for any kit-kat ROM build with the 12/12 or later CM device tree.

takota6
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Free txs for you choo.cho take er ez

Ĉaa\../
The Following User Says Thank You to takota6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orangechoochoo
Old
Thanks Meter 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpalmer View Post
FYI, the camcorder volume should be much better for any kit-kat ROM build with the 12/12 or later CM device tree.
Could you make that change to the 4.3 kernel?

crpalmer
Old
Thanks Meter 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechoochoo View Post
Could you make that change to the 4.3 kernel?
It's a change in the CM device tree. Gimme a kit-kat? Aka, time to bit the bullet and update?