XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to set up LINK2SD for your Android

Tip us?

Nathan.7118391
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Default [GUIDE] How to set up LINK2SD for your Android

CREDIT: First of all this is not my tutorial and all credit goes to Adam Parnala for creating this easy tutorial. I decided to bring it to us off the web for easier access. Please remember to use caution while trying to modify anything on your phone. It is your responsibility to follow the instructions to the letter else you may cause some problems. I have used this particular guide several times on other phones and this one as well. Root is required.

Link2SD can move not only the application file, but also the dalvic-cache and library files of the application. This means that data will be the only one left to consume your internal memory thus installing applications and games would be easier because you can install anything you want without worrying about the famous low memory problem. Furthermore, Link2sd covers all files even moving widgets and the unmovable applications to the 2nd partition of your SD card. Please be advised that your version may not look the same and mine but the information should not have changed. I strongly suggest that you download and install busybox too.

This is a step by step guide on how you can run Link2SD on your device. This tutorial will work for both stock and custom ROMs. Follow all the instructions carefully to eliminate possible problems.

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it HERE.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”

8.Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition. This is where your apps will go so I suggest you allocate enough memory for your purposes.

9.Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11.Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store. .

13. Open Link2sd and you will be asked for root privileges so allow it. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select the one that you picked earlier.

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn't show up, you succeeded
16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select the app you wish to move then select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)

19. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext* partition.

Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan.7118391 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mj_rocks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default unable to use 2nd partition

After done everything I am only able to link the 1st partition.'fat32, . Nothing is going to 2nd partition I,e- sdexnt2.
In setting menu I add this also but nothing is moving to the second partition help

Nathan.7118391
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Sdext2 should not work because artas182x said that only sdext3 is the only partition that works with his cwm.

LG-P769v20h. 'this the season to give thanks so hit the button already!

cmichael258
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you!

Finally found a way to get Link2SD to work on my rooted Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3.

Nathan.7118391
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Good,, I'm glad it helped

LG-P769 rooted, debloated, over clocked, under volted, and linked. 'Tis the season to give thanks so hit the button already!