XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Autofocus and shutter sound

Tip us?

Konpon96
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] Autofocus and shutter sound

My friend has got Note 3 N9005 model. The problem are irritating autofocus and shutter sounds - both insanely loud and the first one so piercing that in quiet environment head hurts. As far as I see, some of Note 3 users have shutter sound toggle in camera settings. After reading bit of threads on xda I think it's CSC setting. However I don't want to root it or modify system in any way to not trip Knox counter and lose OTA updates. He's also from Poland, so I think CSC should be XEO (like in my S3). However, after entering recovery there are lines:
Code:
# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : XEF
Successfully applied multi-CSC
I tried flashing Poland firmware (downloaded from sammobile.com) through Odin PDA field, but it only updated firmware to the latest version (even not changing system state to "Modified"). CSC is still the same and in camera settings there is no sound toggle.
My question is - where can I download official CSC for Poland which has ability to turn off shutter sound and will flashing it trip Knox counter?
Phone: LG Nexus 5
Kernel: CM stock
ROM: CyanogenMod 11 nightlies (4.4.2)
Mods: optimized dalvik and bionic, OmniROM File Manager
Previous phones: Nokia 6230 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson K800i -> Original iPhone 8GB -> iPhone 3G 16GB -> iPhone 3GS 16GB -> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) -> Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 32GB 3G

noteworthy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You can turn the volume of the phone to zero and the camera will be silent.Alternatively you can use a free app called silent camera.

vndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
why dont you use Wanam xposed to disable shutter sound

Konpon96
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteworthy View Post
You can turn the volume of the phone to zero and the camera will be silent.Alternatively you can use a free app called silent camera.
Setting volume to vibration and complete mute from Accessibility settings doesn't affect camera at all and all camera apps from Play Store make much worse photos than stock camera app (not to mention functionality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndnguyen View Post
Xposed needs root to work and I don't want to root device or modify /system partition in any way, that could affect Knox or OTAs. I'm also afraid that all that no-Knox-tripping root methods doesn't remain after OTA update - either root disappears, Knox counter increments, system becomes "Modified" or device bootloops.
Previous phones: Nokia 6230 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson K800i -> Original iPhone 8GB -> iPhone 3G 16GB -> iPhone 3GS 16GB -> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) -> Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)

noteworthy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konpon96 View Post
Setting volume to vibration and complete mute from Accessibility settings doesn't affect camera at all and all camera apps from Play Store make much worse photos than stock camera app (not to mention functionality).

Xposed needs root to work and I don't want to root device or modify /system partition in any way, that could affect Knox or OTAs. I'm also afraid that all that no-Knox-tripping root methods doesn't remain after OTA update - either root disappears, Knox counter increments, system becomes "Modified" or device bootloops.
The Android version in your country must force camera sound.Turning off the volume works for my N3.

Not all camera apps are bad.Pro capture takes very good photos with better control than the stock app but you have to pay for it.This app also has a silent feature but if your Android version forces camera sound then it may not work.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1170

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteworthy View Post
The Android version in your country must force camera sound..
Yup this. Some countries require the sound to be on by Law. And cannot be disabled (officially at least)
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung

noteworthy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
My N1 when I first bought it also had forced camera sound even with the volume off.The only way I could stop the very loud camera sound was by putting a finger over the speaker hole.This muted the sound about 50%.Better than nothing and less annoying.

Konpon96
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
The problem is that CSC on friend's Note 3 is XEF (so French one) and flashing official Polish PDA from sammobile doesn't change it (multi-CSC, so it works with a lot of firmwares afaik). And as far as I see there is boolean in CSC which determines ability to silent shutter. I'm not sure if it's safe to dump CSC, edit it and then flash back, so where I can get XEO CSC file to flash with Odin without affecting Knox?

PS. In Poland it's legal to make photos without shutter/AF sounds, so Polish CSC should allow to mute them, just like in my XEO-CSCed S3.

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by vndnguyen View Post
Wanam Xposed doesn't disable all the camera sounds.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13
The Following User Says Thank You to donalgodon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vndnguyen
Old
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
Wanam Xposed doesn't disable all the camera sounds.
Yes, but I've found a workaround for this issue. Just disable Smart stabilization and there is no more shutter sound

Tags
autofocus, note, note3, shutter, sound