5,597,707 Members 34,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] General Note 3Kernel/Recovery questions??

Tip us?

CollinsB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Post [Q] General Note 3Kernel/Recovery questions??

Hi all! I had an E4GT and I can say that I am comfortably experienced in flashing roms and all that fun stuff. Though I got a Sprint GNote 3, and Im thinking of getting it rooted sometime this week. Though before I do so I wanna make sure I do my homework, and get comfortable in the GNote 3 world. So if anyone could help me out I had some questions specifically about kernels and recoveries
So...
1.) one of the biggest questions I had was I know that the Kernel and recovery are separate. So how do I go about flashing recoveries?
I know that there is flashify in app market which a lot of people use to flash twrp. Though can I also safely use odin>PDA box to do so as well.
2.) And for Flashify and Odin which file do i use. img.tar for both?
3.) Will flashing a recovery via PC odin trigger yellow triangle on start up?
4.) Im assuming you can still use PC odin> PDA box to flash .tar kernels. Will this trigger triangle as well?
5.) though it seems that devs on note 3 page, have taken a favor to .zip files to flash in twrp rather then .tar, so is it generally safe to flash these .zip kernels in twrp?

and lastly, I have to say, ive been using the note 3 for several weeks and LTE seems to be everywhere and it is very fast. Browsing the web has been a breeze on this device. So im concerned that my note 3 being on anything other than Stock kernel will interfere with its performance, as ive read of some bugs here and there. Basically my question is do most people find that the custom kernels out there are buggy, and do you think I would be better off with stock kernel for now. If not what stable kernels do you recommend?
Thank you for puttin up with this somewhat tedious post, I just want to make sure I have all the info i need, so I dont mess up this beautiful device. So any responses, and clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to CollinsB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
Hi all! I had an E4GT and I can say that I am comfortably experienced in flashing roms and all that fun stuff. Though I got a Sprint GNote 3, and Im thinking of getting it rooted sometime this week. Though before I do so I wanna make sure I do my homework, and get comfortable in the GNote 3 world. So if anyone could help me out I had some questions specifically about kernels and recoveries
So...
1.) one of the biggest questions I had was I know that the Kernel and recovery are separate. So how do I go about flashing recoveries?
I know that there is flashify in app market which a lot of people use to flash twrp. Though can I also safely use odin>PDA box to do so as well.

Answer, try Odin first, have flashify as your fallback. For some of us, the latter was the only option, not that we didn't try PC Odin first.

2.) And for Flashify and Odin which file do i use. img.tar for both?

Answer, Odin=tar, flashify=img

3.) Will flashing a recovery via PC odin trigger yellow triangle on start up?

Answer, trips the Knox counter. You'll not see the yellow triangle unless you go into the bootloader.

4.) Im assuming you can still use PC odin> PDA box to flash .tar kernels. Will this trigger triangle as well?

Answer, I believe no, but I'm unclear on this one. That stated, the only kernels of which I'm aware are zips. You could see if @freeza will cook you up something.

5.) though it seems that devs on note 3 page, have taken a favor to .zip files to flash in twrp rather then .tar, so is it generally safe to flash these .zip kernels in twrp?

Answer, only way of which I'm aware.

and lastly, I have to say, ive been using the note 3 for several weeks and LTE seems to be everywhere and it is very fast. Browsing the web has been a breeze on this device. So im concerned that my note 3 being on anything other than Stock kernel will interfere with its performance, as ive read of some bugs here and there. Basically my question is do most people find that the custom kernels out there are buggy, and do you think I would be better off with stock kernel for now. If not what stable kernels do you recommend?

Answer, kernel development is just getting started, but we have some excellent choices for such a young device. Stable kernel is beast 2.3. Run with it. Iterations prior were buggy only when viewed through the prism of these were discrete options. They weren't, just honing of the same until it got to stable.

Thank you for puttin up with this somewhat tedious post, I just want to make sure I have all the info i need, so I dont mess up this beautiful device. So any responses, and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Answer, nothing tedious about it. Rather you ask now than later in a hot panic. You know what you're doing, which is 90 percent of the battle. Welcome to the community bro. Awesome compared with the E4GT.

Thanks
Answers nested above your original. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CollinsB
Old
(Last edited by CollinsB; 14th December 2013 at 07:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmars View Post
Answers nested above your original. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much Mr. micmars sir! Your answers were clear and thorough, and really helped lead me to the right track. I must say this is truly a great community filled with very intelligent people. I am only honored and gladdened to be a part of it!
Thanks Again
The Following User Says Thank You to CollinsB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
Thank you very much Mr. micmars sir! Your answers were clear and thorough, and really helped lead me to the right track. I must say this is truly a great community filled with very intelligent people. I am only honored and gladdened to be a part of it!
Thanks Again
Happy to help. The only thing I would change from my post above is that the phone is way better than the E4GT. The forums there are the finest in xda.

"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK

The Following User Says Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CollinsB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmars View Post
Happy to help. The only thing I would change from my post above is that the phone is way better than the E4GT. The forums there are the finest in xda.

Haha ya, I see what you mean