AT&T Insurance Question

Tip us?

ZOOPidy
Old
(Last edited by ZOOPidy; 17th December 2013 at 09:18 PM.) Reason: UPDATE
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default AT&T Insurance Question

I have an AT&T Note 3 that has suffered from water damage. What can I do to get this replaced? Will they mail a new one to me if I file a claim saying that it has been waterlogged?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE
So a little while ago I checked all the water indicators and they were red still, so I took it to AT&T and they gave me a handout to file a claim with Asurion either by phone or online. They sent me back home and told me that Asurion will mail me a box, where I put my damaged phone in, along with the battery, and the SIM card. I tryed to submit a claim online, but it would not let me. It said that for my protection I would have to go on with the instructions on another phone. I will attempt to call them later once I have another phone in hand.

ALSO looks like I am going to have to pay the $199.99 deducatable. Asurion says that it will be replaced with new, like-new, or "other models of like kind and quality"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:
Also in case you were wondering, if you are paying the standard $6.99 a month insurance, they will still replace your phone from water damage.

Don't take it into the store (they will send you right back out with a handout with Asurion), just file a claim with Asurion on the phone and have them send you a box, put your phone in it, mail it back, and they will send you one "overnight".
The Following User Says Thank You to ZOOPidy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Solarenemy68
Old
Thanks Meter 103
By insurance, do you mean regular warranty or are you paying the extra 9 bucks a month for their anything coverage? If you have the later just take it to a store and tell you have the extended insurance, the phone was dropped in water and you want a replacement. They should replace their on the spot. If you do it through mail, then they will wait till they receive your damaged one before sending you a new one. They will use your old one to refurb and sell as a refurb. They will not send a new one in the mail till they get the old one. Best option is do it in person.

Now if you just have the standard warranty then you are out a phone as it does not cover water damage rather accidental or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solarenemy68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 338

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOPidy View Post
I have an AT&T Note 3 that has suffered from water damage. What can I do to get this replaced? Will they mail a new one to me if I file a claim saying that it has been waterlogged?
Assuming your talking about Asurion, yes. The deductible is pretty high though if I remember correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZOOPidy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
RIght now I am paying the $9 insurance from AT&T. Would I have to take it into the store or file a claim online?
The Following User Says Thank You to ZOOPidy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JACK4HIRE
Old
(Last edited by JACK4HIRE; 17th December 2013 at 05:57 AM.) Reason: typos
Thanks Meter 8
I went through this last month myself and it is the main reason I switched to Square Trade for my insurance needs.

1. If you have the Mobile Protection Plan IE. you pay the extra $9.99 per month, and you go to into an AT&T store, they are not going to give you a new phone on the spot. AT&T will put you on the phone with an insurance representative from Assurion who is the company that handles AT&T insurance claims. The Assurion rep will get some info from you and then Assurion will overnight (FedEx) you a refurnished phone and a labeled box with which to return your damaged phone.

2. You will receive a 'like new' phone.

3. You will be billed a $200.00 deductible for the phone you receive.

4. You will have 10 days to mail back the damaged phone or you will be billed $750.00.

The reps at Assurion have an average IQ of 85 and are not very nice, so listen up. You may also notice that all the female reps have names like Cherry, Porche, Candy and such. Draw whatever conclusions you want from this.

1. Take photos of everything before you send the phone back - the box, its contents, the phone, the labels et al.

2. Make sure you save the receipt you get from the post office when they scan the label as it will have the tracking numbers and such. It is also proof positive you at least mailed the label back.

3. Once you mail the box back, wait 3 days and then start humping Assurions leg asking them if they are tracking your shipped phone. I recommend recording the calls if it's legal where you live. If you can't record the calls, then take detailed notes.

4. Anticipate harassing texts, emails and automated phone calls reminding you to send the damaged phone back. You will get these at all hours; day and night.

If you do the above you will have the evidence needed to defend yourself when Assurion claims they never got your phone and that you never shipped it as they tried to do with me and a buddy of mine just last month.

And before I forget, make sure you make the person from Assurion you are speaking with initially tell you twice what model phone they are sending you. They sent me the wrong phone two times.

The only good thing that came out of my AT&T insurance experience was that AT&T was so horrified by Assurions conduct that I was given family text messaging free for 6 months ($180 value) and an additional $20 off per month from my bill for as long as I am an AT&T customer.

Nothing like an Assurion rep cussing at an AT&T store manager and then hanging up on her to bolster your case.
The Following User Says Thank You to JACK4HIRE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slimslim
Old
Thanks Meter 68
I thought if you lose your phone they'll still send you another one. Declare it stolen or lost, isn't it easier?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
========================

Gary02468
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim View Post
I thought if you lose your phone they'll still send you another one. Declare it stolen or lost, isn't it easier?
What you're suggesting is insurance fraud, which is a crime.

slimslim
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary02468 View Post
What you're suggesting is insurance fraud, which is a crime.
Agree, but in tis particular case the op stated that the phone suffered water damage, don't think there's much to repair or save from it. With water resistant devices is a different story as the internal components and the mainboard are still coated and somehow protected. Now if you run over your device with your truck what sense it makes to send it back to Asurion and risking of being billed the full amount if someone misplace or loses it.

========================

ZOOPidy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Thanks that really helped @JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim View Post

I can't speak to how AT&T and or Assurion would handle the 'loss' of a phone versus a damaged phone. I do know that part of the Mobile Protection Pack is a locator service to help a client with a lost or stolen phone locate it. I believe that AT&T would attempt to locate the phone prior to issuing a replacement.

'Lost' is a very subjective term and I would think that as long as the phone was actually 'lost' there wouldn't be a problem. 'Lost' can mean you snapped the phone in two and then threw it in the trash bin at the grocery store never to see it again. As long as you don't still possess the phone and then claim that it is lost, there is no 'fraud'.

Having said that; I don't really see the purpose of claiming the phone is lost versus damaged as you're still going to get the same marginal customer service, the same iffy replacement and a $200.00 ding on you next bill from AT&T whether you claim water damage or loss.

It's always best to keep things above board even if you screwed up and have to eat it. Companies do refer charges to the police and people do get arrested and prosecuted for fraud, insurance and otherwise, all the time.

Just my $0.02.

Let us know how it goes.