5,606,722 Members 37,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Taking Ota Questions.

Tip us?
 
XzxBATTxzX
Old
(Last edited by XzxBATTxzX; 12th December 2013 at 12:14 AM.)
#1  
XzxBATTxzX's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Posts: 325
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Taking Ota Questions.

So to take the ota. I am rooted and safestrapped with 3 slots open. To take ota I must enable root survival install stock recovery and Odin the new update correct? Thanks for the help

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
Developer of ButterBoost Rom for the Verizon Note 3
 
az_biker
Old
#2  
az_biker's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1718
Posts: 1,519
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW AZ - USA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by XzxBATTxzX View Post
So to take the ota. I am rooted and safestrapped with 3 slots open. To take ota I must enable root survival install stock recovery and Odin the new update correct? Thanks for the help

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
How bout a step by step for those like me not familiar with odin, how to install stock recovery (MJ7 tar?)... I'm beginning to miss my UNLOCKED Gnex (flash rom, gapps, kernel, profit) with this learning curve using safestrap, odin, slots, ota, re-root...

Some details would be REALLY appreciated, thx
Backup: Galaxy Nexus (Gyrannosaurus Nex) - SlimKat 4.4.2
Current: Note 3 (Notorious 3) BajaRom COMBAT Ed / BajaRom 10 / Jelly 'Beans' 6



Hit THANKS If I Helped
The Following User Says Thank You to az_biker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
willjohnson
Old
#3  
willjohnson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 275
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Savanah
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_biker View Post
How bout a step by step for those like me not familiar with odin, how to install stock recovery (MJ7 tar?)... I'm beginning to miss my UNLOCKED Gnex (flash rom, gapps, kernel, profit) with this learning curve using safestrap, odin, slots, ota, re-root...

Some details would be REALLY appreciated, thx
I have not tried this method yet, i will try tomorrow when i have time. I take no credit for any threads linked in this process. I am simply laying out the process i will be trying out for any others that would like to try. I like to start with a clean slate for a major system update like this so this method will wipe data and start you out with a fresh. You WILL have to reroot and reinstall Safestrap.

I take no responsibility for this messing up your phone if you try it, again, this is my OPINION only and the method i will try.

Backup your data thats important on the phones internal memory to the MicroSD or PC and then -

1. Boot into factory recovery by turning phone off, then booting up by holding the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons simultaneously until you see "Recovery Booting" in blue on the top left corner of the screen. Then release the buttons.

2. Once stock recovery has booted, wipe data and cache from here. I usually just pull the battery after this since its the easiest way to power the device off after a wipe in factory recovery.

3. Boot the device up by holding Power, Home, and Volume Down simultaneously until the phone prompts you too press either Volume Up for Download mode, or Volume Down for reboot. Press Volume Up to go into Download Mode(Odin Mode).

4. Once the phone goes into Download Mode(Odin Mode) go to this link and follow this process to flash back to Factory MJ7. This will wipe your internal memory, which is why i suggested backing anything on it up FIRST.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2483380

5. After the flash in Odin is complete and you have booted into MJ7 take the OTA through the normal means in About Phone.

6. Once the update has completed use Kingo to root just like before (remember sometimes it just takes a few times to work right, if it fails try it a few times before you get discouraged) when you rooted MJ7. It is reported by a users to have worked in this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565693
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willjohnson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
XzxBATTxzX
Old
#4  
XzxBATTxzX's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Posts: 325
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_biker View Post
How bout a step by step for those like me not familiar with odin, how to install stock recovery (MJ7 tar?)... I'm beginning to miss my UNLOCKED Gnex (flash rom, gapps, kernel, profit) with this learning curve using safestrap, odin, slots, ota, re-root...

Some details would be REALLY appreciated, thx
as far as help if you are currently rooted safestrapped and running a custom rom, you should visit the return to stock/ recover from soft brick thread and that will get you back to stock verizon firmware, then buy supersu pro, enable root survival, then take the ota an renable supersu. If root does not get preserved kingo root works with mje too. Sorry for the late reply
Developer of ButterBoost Rom for the Verizon Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to XzxBATTxzX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
willjohnson
Old
#5  
willjohnson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 275
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Savanah
Quote:
Originally Posted by willjohnson View Post
I have not tried this method yet, i will try tomorrow when i have time. I take no credit for any threads linked in this process. I am simply laying out the process i will be trying out for any others that would like to try. I like to start with a clean slate for a major system update like this so this method will wipe data and start you out with a fresh. You WILL have to reroot and reinstall Safestrap.

I take no responsibility for this messing up your phone if you try it, again, this is my OPINION only and the method i will try.

Backup your data thats important on the phones internal memory to the MicroSD or PC and then -

1. Boot into factory recovery by turning phone off, then booting up by holding the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons simultaneously until you see "Recovery Booting" in blue on the top left corner of the screen. Then release the buttons.

2. Once stock recovery has booted, wipe data and cache from here. I usually just pull the battery after this since its the easiest way to power the device off after a wipe in factory recovery.

3. Boot the device up by holding Power, Home, and Volume Down simultaneously until the phone prompts you too press either Volume Up for Download mode, or Volume Down for reboot. Press Volume Up to go into Download Mode(Odin Mode).

4. Once the phone goes into Download Mode(Odin Mode) go to this link and follow this process to flash back to Factory MJ7. This will wipe your internal memory, which is why i suggested backing anything on it up FIRST.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2483380

5. After the flash in Odin is complete and you have booted into MJ7 take the OTA through the normal means in About Phone.

6. Once the update has completed use Kingo to root just like before (remember sometimes it just takes a few times to work right, if it fails try it a few times before you get discouraged) when you rooted MJ7. It is reported by a users to have worked in this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565693

I used this process tonight and can confirm that it worked for me, Running Clean ROM 1.5.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes