Originally Posted by az_biker
How bout a step by step for those like me not familiar with odin, how to install stock recovery (MJ7 tar?)... I'm beginning to miss my UNLOCKED Gnex (flash rom, gapps, kernel, profit) with this learning curve using safestrap, odin, slots, ota, re-root...
Some details would be REALLY appreciated, thx
I have not tried this method yet, i will try tomorrow when i have time. I take no credit for any threads linked in this process. I am simply laying out the process i will be trying out for any others that would like to try. I like to start with a clean slate for a major system update like this so this method will wipe data and start you out with a fresh. You WILL have to reroot and reinstall Safestrap.
I take no responsibility for this messing up your phone if you try it, again, this is my OPINION only and the method i will try.
Backup your data thats important on the phones internal memory to the MicroSD or PC and then -
1. Boot into factory recovery by turning phone off, then booting up by holding the Power, Home, and Volume Up buttons simultaneously until you see "Recovery Booting" in blue on the top left corner of the screen. Then release the buttons.
2. Once stock recovery has booted, wipe data and cache from here. I usually just pull the battery after this since its the easiest way to power the device off after a wipe in factory recovery.
3. Boot the device up by holding Power, Home, and Volume Down simultaneously until the phone prompts you too press either Volume Up for Download mode, or Volume Down for reboot. Press Volume Up to go into Download Mode(Odin Mode).
4. Once the phone goes into Download Mode(Odin Mode) go to this link and follow this process to flash back to Factory MJ7. This will wipe your internal memory, which is why i suggested backing anything on it up FIRST.
5. After the flash in Odin is complete and you have booted into MJ7 take the OTA through the normal means in About Phone.
6. Once the update has completed use Kingo to root just like before (remember sometimes it just takes a few times to work right, if it fails try it a few times before you get discouraged) when you rooted MJ7. It is reported by a users to have worked in this thread.