[4.3+] [Root] App Ops for Root (Version 1.1)

Search This thread

safet.me

Jan 18, 2013
As you may know, Google has remove App Ops on Android 4.4.2. This app helps you to bring it back

Root device only for now

What is App Ops
App Ops is an activity, within the Settings app, that allows users to enable or disable operations on a per-app basis. These operations cover many common scenarios identified by permissions (e.g., read contacts, write contacts, access location), though it is not a pure one-to-one mapping.

Operations blocked by App Ops are inaccessible by the affected app, though that may vary by device.

Toggle-able permissions
- Access notifications
- Alarm volume
- Audio focus
- Bluetooth volume
- Call phone
- Camera
- Draw on top
- Keep awake
- Media buttons
- Media volume
- Modify calendar
- Modify call log
- Modify clipboard
- Modify contacts
- Modify settings
- Notification volume
- Play audio
- Post notification
- Read calendar
- Read call log
- Read clipboard
- Read contacts
- Read SMS/MMS
- Receive SMS/MMS
- Record audio
- Ring volume
- Send SMS/MMS
- Vibrate
- Voice volume
- Write SMS/MMS

Download
Google Play:
Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstaller
Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstallerpro

Any feedback, report, please leave your comment.

Change logs
Ver 1.1
- Add uninstall AppOps
- Add update AppOps
- Fixed minor bugs
- Refine permission list

Ver 1.0
- Initial release

Last edited:

gadgetguy08

Apr 2, 2008
After clicking to "Install AppOps Root", the device reboots, but nothing seems to change. Starting the Installer again still shows the same message: "Click to install AppOps Root..."

If I click "Launch Stock App Ops", I see Settings that promptly closes.

I am rooted and running a 4.4.2 ROM.

What am I missing?

haelmchen

Feb 7, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
App is working great. But can you please change the Icon in the drawer? It is really hard to see with this dark grey color

After clicking to "Install AppOps Root", the device reboots, but nothing seems to change. Starting the Installer again still shows the same message: "Click to install AppOps Root..."

What am I missing?

There are now two icons in the Drawer to choose. Select "AppOps Root"

Last edited:

jjbk

Feb 16, 2013
I just got prompted to d/l new firmware for my note 3 today. and after hearing they took this out. I declined it! keeping an eye on this, hopefully there will be a way to bring this back for non rooted devices. as my phone is only 2 months old. and I wana wait 4-6 months to make sure its not faulty B4 I go rooting it. plus there arent enough stable ROMS for note 3 anyway. I like Wanam as its stock ish without bloat. so waiting for wanam!

akz92

Aug 31, 2011
Reboot after install

Im using CM11.0 and the phone reboots after I click "Install AppOps Root" but seems to work fine with the "Lauch Stock AppOps" option.

Good job. Thank you.

M@rs

May 22, 2010
Can i use this app with ART?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

mocnak

Dec 15, 2013
same here

What am I missing?

same for me. i can only run "Launch Stock AppOps", install method causes restart with no change. I can change permissions though, which is nice. (running codefirex ROM, android 4.3 on Oppo Find 5 - couldnt find app ops option in this ROM :rolleyes: )
thanks developer

D

Deleted member 5149646

As this changes this system files can we uninstall if we want? I have not installed it yet

sordna

Dec 12, 2012
As this changes this system files can we uninstall if we want? I have not installed it yet

It only installs one apk in /system/priv-app/

If you are rooted and have titanium backup or other toolbox you can easily uninstall it (titanium can uninstall system apps); second easiest option is to use ES File Explorer or other root file manager; other ways include adb shell commands (mount / rm), and finally another method that actually doesn't require root is via custom recovery that has a builtin file manager like twrp does... you would mount /system and delete the apk from /system/priv-app

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5149646

If you are rooted and have titanium backup or other toolbox you can easily uninstall it (titanium can uninstall system apps); second easiest option is to use ES File Explorer or other root file manager; other ways include adb shell commands (mount / rm), and finally another method that actually doesn't require root is via custom recovery that has a builtin file manager like twrp does... you would mount /system and delete the apk from /system/priv-app

Thanks have titanium backup installed, will just use that if I want to uninstall, good to know for other root apps that I might use in the future
:good:

Reactions: safet.me

SilentSummer

Jun 12, 2010
How does this compare to the likes of XPrivacy. It appears this completely denies the permission which would cause certain apps to crash vs providing random false data.

sordna

Dec 12, 2012
How does this compare to the likes of XPrivacy. It appears this completely denies the permission which would cause certain apps to crash vs providing random false data.

XPrivacy is way more powerful and allows you to revoke many more permissions, but App Ops although limited, works quite well. You cannot remove network access with it, but I removed location, contacts, vibrate, camera, from some apps, and none crashed so far. I've been using App Ops since it was introduced in Jelly Bean, and still do in KitKat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may know, Google has remove App Ops on Android 4.4.2. This app helps you to bring it back

Root device only for now

What is App Ops
    App Ops is an activity, within the Settings app, that allows users to enable or disable operations on a per-app basis. These operations cover many common scenarios identified by permissions (e.g., read contacts, write contacts, access location), though it is not a pure one-to-one mapping.

Operations blocked by App Ops are inaccessible by the affected app, though that may vary by device.

Toggle-able permissions
    - Access notifications
    - Alarm volume
    - Audio focus
    - Bluetooth volume
    - Call phone
    - Camera
    - Draw on top
    - Keep awake
    - Media buttons
    - Media volume
    - Modify calendar
    - Modify call log
    - Modify clipboard
    - Modify contacts
    - Modify settings
    - Notification volume
    - Play audio
    - Post notification
    - Read calendar
    - Read call log
    - Read clipboard
    - Read contacts
    - Read SMS/MMS
    - Receive SMS/MMS
    - Record audio
    - Ring volume
    - Send SMS/MMS
    - Vibrate
    - Voice volume
    - Write SMS/MMS

Download
    Google Play:
    Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstaller
    Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidmate.appopsinstallerpro

Any feedback, report, please leave your comment.

Change logs
    Ver 1.1
    - Add uninstall AppOps
    - Add update AppOps
    - Fixed minor bugs
    - Refine permission list

Ver 1.0
    - Initial release
    That's how Google implemented App Ops. It was never meant to control all permissions.
    Just a small subset, unfortunately.
    Even CM's Privacy Guard doesn't control everything.

To control more permissions, such as Internet access or storage access, I highly recommend the Advanced Permission Manager app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.heagoo.pmaster

What it does is edit the apk itself and reinstall (non-system) apps with reduced permissions. You can see and remove any permission. There are 2 caveats:
    1. Certain apps crash if you remove certain permissions from them. So try and remove one or two permissions only first.
    2. You will no longer be prompted for updates in an app that you removed permissions since the app signature is changed.

These caveats are not a fault of Advanced Permission Manager (just like the reduced permissions is not a fault of the various App Ops apps).

Anyway I have had great success with both these apps, I even got the Pro version of Advanced Permission Manager.

XPrivacy is way more powerful and allows you to revoke many more permissions, but App Ops although limited, works quite well. You cannot remove network access with it, but I removed location, contacts, vibrate, camera, from some apps, and none crashed so far. I've been using App Ops since it was introduced in Jelly Bean, and still do in KitKat.
    for all people where the install option does not work:

this is the app that is copied to /system/priv-app. dont know if its the same as the playtore apk.
    got this when playing around with "setenforce 0" and remount /system. but cant reproduce it.

anyway, this works:
    https www dot dropbox dot com/s/tcw7vdvij84m2m7/AppOpsApp.apk?dl=0

# copy apk:
    adb push AppOpsApp.apk /sdcard/.
    # get into adb shell
    adb shell
    # get root permissions
    su (confirm su on android)
    # remount /system
    busybox mount /system -o rw,remount
    # copy app
    cp /sdcard/AppOpsApp.apk /system/priv-app/AppOpsApp.apk
    # fix permissions
    chmod 777 /system/priv-app/AppOpsApp.apk
    # notify package manager for new app
    am broadcast -a android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED

if not, put a few "setenforce 0" between the commands ^^

edit: i did a "setenforce 1" when finished, dont know if this is needed.
    and completely shut down and start the phone, because otherwise supersu may not work.
    hope the dev can use this infos for fixing the app.