5,597,937 Members 38,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4 OTA bricked - fastboot inaccessible !

Tip us?

Lirezh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.4 OTA bricked - fastboot inaccessible !

I had android GE 4.3 on it, rooted.
I have the original GE bootloader (that robot) installed.

I downloaded the official 4.4 update through android, rebooted for install.
Now after the install the phone does not boot up anymore, instead it goes into RECOVERY and shows that triangle robot.
I tried wipe of cache and data wipe.

Whatever i try I am not able to get this device into fastboot / bootloader anymore!
It takes longer than usual,, it is stuck in that HTC screen since I have unlocked the bootloader but it does not enter the usual menu.
Instead it just directly goes to the robot.

I tried about everything I could think about,
It seems the OTA really bricked my phone by damaging the bootloader so it does not load at all anymore.?!?!

The only USB accessible feature I see is that in the robot screen it registers a device through USB.
Sadly not ADB or fastboot, it is a volume. It even loads as volume but is inaccessible (like a CD without disk)
Windows recognizes it as WDP FileSystem.
I doubt this will help at all, just wanted to note it.

I am about to throw the phone into trash, if it had not been so expensive.. Anything that can be done to repair this brick ?

Alfa Kenny One
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirezh View Post
I had android GE 4.3 on it, rooted.
I have the original GE bootloader (that robot) installed.

I downloaded the official 4.4 update through android, rebooted for install.
Now after the install the phone does not boot up anymore, instead it goes into RECOVERY and shows that triangle robot.
I tried wipe of cache and data wipe.

Whatever i try I am not able to get this device into fastboot / bootloader anymore!
It takes longer than usual,, it is stuck in that HTC screen since I have unlocked the bootloader but it does not enter the usual menu.
Instead it just directly goes to the robot.

I tried about everything I could think about,
It seems the OTA really bricked my phone by damaging the bootloader so it does not load at all anymore.?!?!

The only USB accessible feature I see is that in the robot screen it registers a device through USB.
Sadly not ADB or fastboot, it is a volume. It even loads as volume but is inaccessible (like a CD without disk)
Windows recognizes it as WDP FileSystem.
I doubt this will help at all, just wanted to note it.

I am about to throw the phone into trash, if it had not been so expensive.. Anything that can be done to repair this brick ?
Now search for the right adb and fastboot driver. There is a .msi installer (adb + fastboot .msi) something like that. Than push the right recovery via fastboot. Voila
Live and let live!

Lirezh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Kenny One View Post
Now search for the right adb and fastboot driver. There is a .msi installer (adb + fastboot .msi) something like that. Than push the right recovery via fastboot. Voila
Hi,
I solved it.
It took about 30-50 reboots until the phone entered the fastboot menu.
The problem was that the phone kept skipping the whole fastboot menu and went into recovery instead.
A very strange firmware bug caused by the failed OTA