XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Strange screen flicker?

Tip us?

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Strange screen flicker?

I have only had my tf701 a day but Ive noticed sometimes when docked to the keyboard if you dont touch the mouse for a few seconds sometimes when you move the mouse again it will make a flicker around where the mouse is located, it doesnt always do it, just wondering if anyone has noticed this or is it a fault with my tablet?

I can live with it, but if there is a known fix it would be nice to sort it.

Thank You
Xperia T LT30p | ROM: Deodexed & Rooted 9.2.A.0.295 Android 4.3 | Bootloder Unlock: Yes

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
After a bit of messing about I think it only does it with live wallpapers? Which isnt a problem as I wont be setteling on a live wallpaper anyway found them far too distracting.

Would still be nice to know this is fixable though.

Thank You
Xperia T LT30p | ROM: Deodexed & Rooted 9.2.A.0.295 Android 4.3 | Bootloder Unlock: Yes

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I was wrong its not to do with live wallpapers, just seems to do it on some apps, for example if I go to apex launcher then settings, if I leave the mouse for 10 seconds or more than rouch to move it, it makes the strange flash across the screen.

Could anyone else please test if theirs does this?

Thanks

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 609
Asus considers it to be a feature - not a bug - and calls it "smart backlight adjuster".
For most people it goes away upgrading to 4.3 which I guess you haven't done?

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb View Post
Asus considers it to be a feature - not a bug - and calls it "smart backlight adjuster".
Yeah I am running 4.3?

I have noticed it does it on the drawer too, only when using the dock and leaving the mouse dormant for 8 seconds or more than moving it again it sends horizontal lines across the screen for a split second, is this the bug *ahem* feature you speak of?

Thanks

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Also when you say adjuster, that sounds like it would be something that requires adjusting but it still does this with screen set to full brightness, or least brightness, with auto off, also wit outdoor on or off, it still does the strange flicker.

I can happily live with it, doesnt bother me that much just dont want it to be something that is going to get worse as Im very close to unlocking the device and dont want to blow all warranty if I already have a fault.

Thanks

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
Also when you say adjuster, that sounds like it would be something that requires adjusting but it still does this with screen set to full brightness, or least brightness, with auto off, also wit outdoor on or off, it still does the strange flicker.

I can happily live with it, doesnt bother me that much just dont want it to be something that is going to get worse as Im very close to unlocking the device and dont want to blow all warranty if I already have a fault.

Thanks
No what I had in mind was the screen dimming and brightening. What you describe sounds more like the "flashing black lines" the TF700 has (which seems to be due to some nvidia driver issue). I have not noticed those on the TF701 but then, I am so used to them from the 700 I probably wouldn't even notice. Have not read anything about them in the forums though, so I suspect your situation is unique.
Are you in the US? Get a Squaretrade warranty. I find the peace of mind is worth the $75 since they don't care about locked/unlocked...

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
No what I had in mind was the screen dimming and brightening. What you describe sounds more like the "flashing black lines" the TF700 has (which seems to be due to some nvidia driver issue). I have not noticed those on the TF701 but then, I am so used to them from the 700 I probably wouldn't even notice. Have not read anything about them in the forums though, so I suspect your situation is unique.
Are you in the US? Get a Squaretrade warranty. I find the peace of mind is worth the $75 since they don't care about locked/unlocked...
No I am in the UK Im afraid, hmmmmm its deffo a tf701 not a 700 hehe

Can you please test for me open your drawer, leave the mouse in the centre for 10 seconds then move it and see if it does the black lines?

Also did the issue ever get resolved or get any worse on the 700 or is it just something the user gets used to?

Thank You

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
No I am in the UK Im afraid, hmmmmm its deffo a tf701 not a 700 hehe

Can you please test for me open your drawer, leave the mouse in the centre for 10 seconds then move it and see if it does the black lines?

Also did the issue ever get resolved or get any worse on the 700 or is it just something the user gets used to?

Thank You
Don't have the keyboard for the TF701 - yet. So I can't help you with your test.
The black lines on the 700 are benign - I don't even notice them anymore. But I don't think my 701 has them, so there is a possibility that your tablet has a glitch...

dougie175
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Don't have the keyboard for the TF701 - yet. So I can't help you with your test.
The black lines on the 700 are benign - I don't even notice them anymore. But I don't think my 701 has them, so there is a possibility that your tablet has a glitch...
Thanks, I have sent Asus an email to see if they will help me, I bought the tablet second hand though so they probably have no interest even though it is only 3 months old and hasnt been out long enough to be out of warranty.

If they will fix or replace it for me ill take that, if not i can happily live with it