XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to block OTAs

Tip us?

Rodeojones
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Default [Q] How to block OTAs

Seems like everyday I check this subforum there's a new batch of "help, I'm bricked" threads because users accepted (or were forced into) an OTA while also having a custom recovery. I was under the impression that OTAs would be blocked by the custom recovery (that we wouldn't even be prompted to accept it), but evidently this is not the case. Perhaps it's an LG thing, or maybe it's a non Nexus thing as that's all I've ever owned previously, but it's pretty obvious that accepting an OTA only leads to bad things.

So my question is pretty simple. Is there a way to block OTAs from ever popping up on our phones? Some file or apk we can freeze or delete? And if we do indeed receive the OTA notification, can we block it before it installs and all hell breaks loose? I'm specifically using the VS980 variant, but I imagine the process would be similar across all models.

KrazyDawg825
Old
Thanks Meter 0
When I was on Sprint using a Galaxy S2, I would be prompted to install an OTA but it never forced the install. Not sure how Verizon or LG is since I recently switched over. Using a custom ROM would likely block OTA but I'm not sure about any process to freeze in a rooted stock ROM.

btm fdr
Old
Thanks Meter 708
Use Tibu pro and freeze System Update. I don't have Pro, so I went in to /system/app and deleted LGDMSClient.apk and the .odex as well. This worked for me on the AT&T D800.
Device LG G2
Rom AeonFlex
Kernel Stock
Recovery TWRP

Rodeojones
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by btm fdr View Post
Use Tibu pro and freeze System Update. I don't have Pro, so I went in to /system/app and deleted LGDMSClient.apk and the .odex as well. This worked for me on the AT&T D800.
I don't see anything named System Update when I'm using Titanium Backup and I also don't have anything called LGDMSClient.apk in my /system/app. My initial thought was to search for something with system update in it but my searches were fruitless, hence my thread asking here.

For what it's worth, I'm running the stock ROM with a few modifications thanks to G2 Xposed.

btm fdr
Old
(Last edited by btm fdr; 14th December 2013 at 07:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeojones View Post
I don't see anything named System Update when I'm using Titanium Backup and I also don't have anything called LGDMSClient.apk in my /system/app. My initial thought was to search for something with system update in it but my searches were fruitless, hence my thread asking here.

For what it's worth, I'm running the stock ROM with a few modifications thanks to G2 Xposed.
Hm. Not sure what it would be called for other variants then. I googled it and the solution I found was actually in a G Pro thread. So, I tried it and it worked for me. System update notification disappeared. I too am stock with G2 Xposed.

EDIT: post #1 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2394892 is what I followed.
Device LG G2
Rom AeonFlex
Kernel Stock
Recovery TWRP

Rodeojones
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Hm. Not sure what it would be called for other variants then. I googled it and the solution I found was actually in a G Pro thread. So, I tried it and it worked for me. System update notification disappeared. I too am stock with G2 Xposed.

EDIT: post #1 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2394892 is what I followed.
Thanks for the reply. I, too, came across that thread when I Googled a solution to this. However, like I said, I have no file named LGDMSClient (see screenshot). However, I'm wondering if when I rooted my phone and debloated if I might have deleted that file. I know I got rid of a bunch of LG crap, so it's possible that was one of them. If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again. If nothing else, your answer can be helpful to anyone else looking to block OTAs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-14-13-28-42.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	2454715  

btm fdr
Old
Thanks Meter 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeojones View Post
Thanks for the reply. I, too, came across that thread when I Googled a solution to this. However, like I said, I have no file named LGDMSClient (see screenshot). However, I'm wondering if when I rooted my phone and debloated if I might have deleted that file. I know I got rid of a bunch of LG crap, so it's possible that was one of them. If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again. If nothing else, your answer can be helpful to anyone else looking to block OTAs.
If you haven't got a notification, I wouldn't worry about. I didn't, until it popped up. Went straight to Google.
Device LG G2
Rom AeonFlex
Kernel Stock
Recovery TWRP

Rodeojones
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
If you haven't got a notification, I wouldn't worry about. I didn't, until it popped up. Went straight to Google.
I'm not really worried, just want to be prepared. And I'm confident I'd be able to fix things if it went bad.

Interesting note, decided to quickly restore my original, unmodified, bloat-filled backup. Still no LGDMSClient file present. Must be a VS980 thing.