XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Returned it for Surface 2 Pro for serious PDF editing and note taking

Tip us?

wesleyyin
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Returned it for Surface 2 Pro for serious PDF editing and note taking

No doubt this tablet has light weight, gorgeous screen, and lots of nice features. But, EZPdf force closes three times today and lacks the feature of simultaneous SPen freehand and finger scrolling. LectureNotes is better than SNote but is not there with OneNote. Sigh ~ for productivity, Surface 2 Pro appears to be a better choice at the moment despite its heavier weight, shorter battery life, and fewer gaming and entertainment apps. There is little fault on Samsung but the editing apps of Android tablet are not there yet.

madsquabbles
Old
Thanks Meter 249
definitely wrong about the few apps for gaming and entertainment. you've got a crapload of apps available for desktop mode and better apps at that (though that can be debated by some). but there on the modern ui side, it sucks.

android is great for "playing around" but when i need to do work or just want more power i pull out the ativ 700t.

Houndx
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyyin View Post
No doubt this tablet has light weight, gorgeous screen, and lots of nice features. But, EZPdf force closes three times today and lacks the feature of simultaneous SPen freehand and finger scrolling. LectureNotes is better than SNote but is not there with OneNote. Sigh ~ for productivity, Surface 2 Pro appears to be a better choice at the moment despite its heavier weight, shorter battery life, and fewer gaming and entertainment apps. There is little fault on Samsung but the editing apps of Android tablet are not there yet.
Comparing a $1k tablet pc using a $400 office suite ($100 for home/student) to a $500 mobile tablet using a $0.99 app should result in pretty different experiences.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Houndx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ethania
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I really think switching this tab (if you have it) for a surface pro is a bad choice.
This one is good at taking notes I think.
Don't know if syncing s-note with Evernote adds anything, but syncing is always good.
Master Daniel, Sweden
------------------------------------
SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 - Stock ROM
SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 - Stock ROM
ASUS Infinity TF700T - Stock ROM (RIP)
HTC Desire HD - Stock ROM (RIP)
HTC Desire - Stock ROM (RIP)
HTC Touch HD - blackSTONEhenge™ v4.4 (RIP)

reubenskelly1992
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Use mantano reader pro, people keep saying they use ezpdf but it's rubbish and laggy, there's much better readers to try

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3778
The Surface may do some things better than the N10.1-14 and Android because of its old-school Windows roots but holding a 2 pound tablet (the N10.1-14 is 1.2 pounds) as a means of note taking isn't for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

swaggerjacker
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Comparing a $1k tablet pc using a $400 office suite ($100 for home/student) to a $500 mobile tablet using a $0.99 app should result in pretty different experiences.
This
The Following User Says Thank You to swaggerjacker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

optimummind
Old
Thanks Meter 415
Just returned the Note 10.1 tonight to Best Buy which I had purchased for the wifey as her early Christmas present. She didn't like it b/c it sucked as a laptop replacement when it comes to browsers, Office editing & creation, and simple file explorer/management. She wanted a Surface Pro 2 instead but she didn't get it b/c it wasn't offered in white, it's a bit heavy for her, and the price (bang for the buck). I agree with her. Current Android tabs are still not there if one is looking for more than just ''consuming.''

Ah well, I got my $550 back.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

reubenskelly1992
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I disagree

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimummind View Post
b/c it sucked as a laptop replacement when it comes to browsers, Office editing & creation, and simple file explorer/management.
I totally agree with you. No Android tablet can be considered a viable laptop replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimummind View Post
Current Android tabs are still not there if one is looking for more than just ''consuming.''
I totally disagree with this. Here are the devices I use:
  • TVs with 32-50" displays
  • High-end home desktop with a 23" monitor
  • Work desktop with a 23" monitor
  • Work laptop with a 13" display
  • N10.1-14 with a 10.1" display
  • N3 with a 5.7" display
  • Galaxy Gear with a 1.63" display
Which device I'll use depends on access to it and what I'm doing. Consuming media at home the TVs win. Creating or editing large complex spreadsheets the desktops win. Consuming media while traveling the N10.1-14 wins. Sending and reviewing short e-mails and SMS the N3 wins. Looking at notifications as they come in the Galaxy Gear wins. None, at least to me, is a "slam dunk" replacement for another.

The N10.1-14 and Surface share a limitation - 10.1" and 10.6" displays aren't great for creating big complex documents (PPT, Word, Excel). Even at 13" I'd still consider my laptop limited and would prefer to use a large monitor on a desktop for any serious creation. Very few people I know (and me) consider the Surface (any form) a full-time laptop replacement. With that, it and N10.1-14 really serve double duty. Light editing and creation and consumption when away from better alternatives. I'd choose the N10.1-14 in that scenario because Surface sucks at consumption; both available sources (especially in Modern mode) and the battery life deficit when consuming compared to Android. The biggest advantage, at least to me, of the N10.1-14 as a laptop alternative when I'm traveling is its size and versatility. As a pure tablet (very light creation and consumption) it embarrasses the barge that is Surface and you can't argue with a 299 PPI display. With a BT keyboard, mouse, and Microsoft RDP I have access to full Office no differently than I would via a Surface. I have a 3G N10.1-14 so I'm always "on." Prior to the N10.1-14 I had two other Samsung 10" tablets including last year's Note 10.1 I'd rarely rely on either as a laptop alternative when traveling because faux-Office and peripheral support was such a kluge. Now I find myself relying solely on my N10.1-14 and leaving my laptop home more and more.

As for PDF editing and hand written note taking I'd still pick the N10.1-14 but agree that given a choice between S Note and OneNote I'd pick the latter; mostly because of the ability to share across a multiple OS environment. The N10.1-14 with its charger, mouse and BT keyboard takes up 1/2 the space needed for a Surface layout and about 1/3 of what my 13" laptop requires (EG: power bricks, accessories). And I double the battery life of my N10.1-14 with a 9,000mAh Samsung battery booster that's the size of a pack of cigarettes so I can get 14 hours of non-stop work/entertainment out of it which is longer than the longest plane flight.

So I'm glad your wife is finally happy. She picked a set of compromises (weight/bulk, duopolis environment (native Windows/Modern), average screen resolution, limited battery life) to get what she considers a better (but still compromised) productivity environment. She shouldn't be offended when others might disagree with her choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]