5,604,367 Members 48,713 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SD Card has less memory after root ?

Tip us?

olegma
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] SD Card has less memory after root ?

I recently rooted my Galaxy Note 3 and now the SD card only shows 7 gigs, but it has a 28 gig capacity. How do I remove the partitions or restore it to full capacity?

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1882

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: free space

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegma View Post
I recently rooted my Galaxy Note 3 and now the SD card only shows 7 gigs, but it has a 28 gig capacity. How do I remove the partitions or restore it to full capacity?
Rooting has nothing to do with how much free space/memory you have on your sdcard.
Perhaps you have a lot of music, videos, pictures and or nandroid backups which are
taking up a lot of the space.

If you like you can format/wipe the internal sdcard but if you did you would loose
everything on it unless you made a full backup from phone to computer.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

olegma
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default re: SD Card Free Space

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My SD card has a 28 gig capacity. However, the capacity my phone shows for my SD card is only 7 gigs. When I plug my phone into my computer, only 7 gigs shows up as the maximum capacity. When I downloaded an app that allows me to look at the contents of my SD card (SD Card Storage) I can see that there is 12 gigs used and 28 gigs total. I cant format my SD card because when I try to back it up to my computer, only 7 gigs appears. I am guessing there is some partitions on the SD card, which I noticed after I rooted my phone. I believe I need to remove the root file, but I dont know how to do that or where to find it.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 53
If you're rooted, can you access the whole card from the phone? Can you back it up, either into internal phone memory or computer? Once backed, I would format it. How about Titanium Backup? Did you install ADB on your computer and tried to access the card that way. Basically you want to back up everything and then reformat the card, something has to work to do so.