XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast is killing my Android's battery

Tip us?

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Chromecast is killing my Android's battery

Only started happening recently, not sure if the latest Chromecast firmwares are causing this, or Flashcast ROM that I am using, but Chromecast device is causing serious insomnia for my HTC One. Wlan_rx_wake is the highest wakelock by far, unplugging Chromecast fixes the issue. I read a lot about the wakelock and all the tips I found (assigning static IP's, disabling IPv6 in the router, etc) didn't help. Seems to me that DIAL protocol is very aggressive, but I would like to hear some other experiences. I really don't want to change the router as a solution. Any other ideas to try?

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
Only started happening recently, not sure if the latest Chromecast firmwares are causing this, or Flashcast ROM that I am using, but Chromecast device is causing serious insomnia for my HTC One. Wlan_rx_wake is the highest wakelock by far, unplugging Chromecast fixes the issue. I read a lot about the wakelock and all the tips I found (assigning static IP's, disabling IPv6 in the router, etc) didn't help. Seems to me that DIAL protocol is very aggressive, but I would like to hear some other experiences. I really don't want to change the router as a solution. Any other ideas to try?
Just Greenify it and forget it.

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post
Just Greenify it and forget it.
Greenify what? You think the Chromecast app is doing this?

I had issues Greenifying media apps, as they lose connection to Chromecast when the phone goes to sleep.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
I can't think of anything the Chromecast itself could do to cause extra load on your device. It can't wake or influence your device unless there's something on your device listening for it.

So, running apps that are Chromecast-enabled can definitely influence behavior, whether they're looking for Chromecasts or getting the status of a Chromecast it's connected to.

Also, because Chromecast traffic is can be two-way (sometimes a Chromecast app has to query the requesting device) some of the Chromecast-enabled apps (that run on phone/tablet) are set to keep the device awake, or at least wake up.

Killing all Chromecast-enabled apps should ensure no extra battery drain.

And the app named Chromecast is only necessary for Chromecast setup - it's not needed to use Chromecast - that's up to the individual Chromecast-enabled app.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Thanks, now when I think of it, it probably started since the last landslide of new chromecast apps. One or more of them are probably misbehaving. Did not happen with the initial few. I will remove them one by one and try to get to the bottom of it. I hope it's not Avia.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
IIRC Songza and Netflix keep p network askew l awake.
But you can safely kill them and reconnect later without interruption playback.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

jasenko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Surprise, surprise... Chromecast setup app was the main culprit for insomnia. As soon as I removed it, the phone found some badly needed sleep. Songza was also causing issues while in the background and not casting. Same with Avia. Closing the apps and removing them from background does the trick. All other Chromecast enabled apps seem to play nicely with Android.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Something I have noticed that could be an issue Google must address in it's Guidelines...

The Googlecast app in Chrome has a STOP CASTING function which pretty much divorces the PC from the CCast entirely.

Netflix (and maybe aVia as well) does not have this in it's DIAL menu...I'm betting there are others that don't have it as well....

Now think about what your doing when you cast...
First is the sending the info to cast... That is an Open then Closed operation...Cast this, then Communication ends...
Second is the Opening of the Control connection. that STAYS OPEN throughout the cast and you have to wonder does it close when the cast is done? Is there something the CCast sends to any devices that are in control to break connection?

I'm betting NO and as a result any app that casts to CCast but does not have a STOP CASTING button tries to remain connected for control which might affect the sleep and awake states as it constantly renews it's connection that it really doesn't need anymore.

So there should be something at the end of every cast that makes the Player tell all devices that are connected to the CCast to drop all connections.

I bet that will stop the awake states on the controller units.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Revision 3 does that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Something I have noticed that could be an issue Google must address in it's Guidelines...

The Googlecast app in Chrome has a STOP CASTING function which pretty much divorces the PC from the CCast entirely.

Netflix (and maybe aVia as well) does not have this in it's DIAL menu...I'm betting there are others that don't have it as well....
Avia has a Disconnect, but you're spot-on. If the app does not disconnect from Chromecast, they will continue pinging each other for status and new requests, even if there's nothing playing.