5,593,458 Members 36,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi Dongle on Android Stick computers?

Tip us?

aRandomPiece
Old
(Last edited by aRandomPiece; 20th March 2014 at 05:39 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wifi Dongle on Android Stick computers?

Is it possible to use a wifi dongle on an android stick computer? I found a thread about using 3g dongles on android tablets which I figured might also be possible on the stick computers, but nothing on wifi dongles. Thanks for any input.

Also, the android stick I'm using right now is an MK802-IV with AP6330 wifi.

dtb1987
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRandomPiece View Post
Is it possible to use a wifi dongle on an android stick computer? I found a thread about using 3g dongles on android tablets which I figured might also be possible on the stick computers, but nothing on wifi dongles. Thanks for any input.

Also, the android stick I'm using right now is an MK802-IV with AP6330 wifi.
You would need to have a driver and then write a wlan0.conf file and find some way for it to get recognized every time you reboot. Maybe you could put it in cron if that is a thing in the android world.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII (SPH-D710)
Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA
Bitcon: 1MXNpNQ1U5KfvmBWmfn95h1ZQcpeQ81fyp

mad_sunday
Old
Thanks Meter 24
If the dongle drivers are already in the Linux kernel of the version of Android you want to use it with, it will work ootb. I'd just plug it in, if it works great, if not installing Linux drivers can be a pain in the butt! Make sure you disable the on board wifi first before trying the dongle.
Pete

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Device history

XDA2, XDA2i, HTC wizard, HTC elf, Samsung Omnia i900, HTC Tattoo, Samsung i5700. LG Optimus 3D, Now.....Galaxy Mega 6.3