Screen Protector`s - Anybody Else Rubbish at fitting them

Search This thread

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
I have to have it perfect, but i always end up with dust/dirt bubbles, or it`s not aligned correctly.

I would pay to mine fitted perfect, why does somebody not set up a business fitting them.

Phone shop`s should offer the service for a small fee.

I usually buy a cheap pack or 6-10 as i throw a lot away, or still end up not having one fitted.

John.

Elsydeon

Feb 10, 2010
Hilo
I have to have it perfect, but i always end up with dust/dirt bubbles, or it`s not aligned correctly.

I would pay to mine fitted perfect, why does somebody not set up a business fitting them.

I usually buy a cheap pack or 6-10 as i throw a lot away, or still end up not having one fitted.

John.

For dry applies, look up the hinge method on Youtube, it makes applying screen protectors a breeze, and gets things perfect every time the first time. As far as dust goes, I recommend shining a LED flashlight around the screen, and using a piece of tape to spot remove every last bit of dust just prior to peeling the screen protector's 1st side up.

For wet applies, I find that I get better results by not using any soap, and just using water by itself. Less chance of it appearing cloudy or hazy after it dries. The key is to use liberal amounts of water to keep the protector sliding.

Reactions: Tinderbox (UK)

HDCowboy

Dec 20, 2011
Every time I install one I screw it up so I finally gave up and just started picking them up at the AT&T store and let them do it. Ordered a mime ghost glass a while back and was heading down to the AT&T store to see if they would install it, but stopped at Radio Shack on the way there and those guys were more than willing to install it for me also. The guy said the mime is much easier to install because its more solid and not like those flimsy cheap ones you buy elsewhere. Seems most places that sell them aint got no problem installing them if they aint all tied up with other stuff.

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
Thats the problem. the cheap ones do not stick as well as the ones from good companies such as Spigen, MediaDevil, martin fields

glass protectors are the thing now, MIME feather glass from the USA is the best

lancasterv3

Oct 24, 2010

John.

I would use the hinge method for placement, as far as the dust/dirt try the shower method. Run the shower for five minutes with the door closed on hot (allows steam to form). Turn off shower and allow the steam to settle (2-3) minutes, this pulls the dust and dander out of the air. Then apply the screen protector to the handset.DO NOT leave the handset in the bathroom while the rooms fills with steam or when it is settling. I did not believe this method would work but I have used it on my Rezound, Droid X, Nexus 7 tablet and my HTC One with dust/hair free installs.

psychedelicNerd

Mar 31, 2008
I used to be clumsy at it, but now I fit mine flawlessly. I have done it with 3 phones and 2 tablets and all of them were bubble free. My rule, keep the device under a light so you can see the dust particles or anything else clearly. Wipe it with micro fiber (or use alcohol wipes if the surface is smudgy). Use a scotch tape to remove the dust particles, small strokes, even in the areas which look clean. It takes 2 minutes to cover the whole device. Align the screen protector across the edges and work your way down, making sure the sides align and are in straight line. You will get bubbles which you can then remove using a credit card by wiping them towards the edges. Works for me everytime.

Reactions: Tinderbox (UK)

Gs0230

Oct 22, 2012
New York
I work at a cellphone store and whenever someone buys a screen protector we install them for free glass or plastic:laugh:

downbringer

Sep 24, 2009
Oxford
what I find is the easiest method of applying a film screen protector and worked for me for 2 years whilst working in a vodafone store is the following:
1) ensure the screen is clean of dust, a good cloth in a relatively clean environment does the job, if not do it near a boiling kettle.
2) before peeling off the first layer line the screen protector up along the top of the handset, where you would like it begin. (for the htc one, it would be just below the top speaker grill),
3) peel back the first layer only slightly, line and up press down adhesive side with the top of the handset, easiest done with the top of the handset facing away from you. (benefit of this is, you've pulled the whole thing off and it's less likely to catch dust if only a small part of the protector is visible to wilderness.
4) with the top of the protector adhered to your screen, swivel the phone around so the top is closest to you without letting the protector move from it's position,
5) from here, it is a simple task of taking a piece of cardboard or hard paper and gently push forward from the top, whilst slowing peeling back the bottom plastic until you're at the bottom.
6) you may have some small bubbles right on the bottom edge of your protector, just use your thumb or the paper to gently squeeze them out.

Works for me 90% of the time. Also depends somewhat on the quality of the protector. But I would recommend a Glas.Tr or MIME type protector.

Seraphicus

Dec 18, 2013
I bought mine from mobilefun.com. Don't remember exactly which, but it was one of the "premium" ones (not cheapest). From a 5-pack I got it perfect on the 4th try! Be patient and read the insructions carefully (which I didn't before the 3rd try) hehe ...

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
OK, i read no instructions apart from which tab to pull of first on the protector, i cleaned the screen with the included cloth, no steamy room or anything, it took me five attempt's to get the protector in the right place and there were bubbles galore, but i managed to get them all out, no dust underneath that i can see so i wasted no screen protectors i still have two left. :eek:

John.

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
Three things are recommended, dust removing sticker, microfiber cloth and a room with heated vapor such as a bathroom, after you have showered(dont take device in during shower).

leDev13

Jul 28, 2013
Liepāja
www.clublandlv.com
I got some cheap matte ones from eBay... They are truly awsome and fit the whole screen(you must be pro master on fittin screen protectors)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/35084675949...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

My secret for fitting perfectly is to hold your screen down after wipin all the dust while getting the protector ready itself... Once I put it on without any dust under ir, I press it very hard and move it in direction where I need if not correctly positioned... When its just sticked on, you can still move it slighty - thats all it takes to get those 0,1mm right :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

John.

I would use the hinge method for placement, as far as the dust/dirt try the shower method. Run the shower for five minutes with the door closed on hot (allows steam to form). Turn off shower and allow the steam to settle (2-3) minutes, this pulls the dust and dander out of the air. Then apply the screen protector to the handset.DO NOT leave the handset in the bathroom while the rooms fills with steam or when it is settling. I did not believe this method would work but I have used it on my Rezound, Droid X, Nexus 7 tablet and my HTC One with dust/hair free installs.

John.

For dry applies, look up the hinge method on Youtube, it makes applying screen protectors a breeze, and gets things perfect every time the first time. As far as dust goes, I recommend shining a LED flashlight around the screen, and using a piece of tape to spot remove every last bit of dust just prior to peeling the screen protector's 1st side up.

For wet applies, I find that I get better results by not using any soap, and just using water by itself. Less chance of it appearing cloudy or hazy after it dries. The key is to use liberal amounts of water to keep the protector sliding.
    I used to be clumsy at it, but now I fit mine flawlessly. I have done it with 3 phones and 2 tablets and all of them were bubble free. My rule, keep the device under a light so you can see the dust particles or anything else clearly. Wipe it with micro fiber (or use alcohol wipes if the surface is smudgy). Use a scotch tape to remove the dust particles, small strokes, even in the areas which look clean. It takes 2 minutes to cover the whole device. Align the screen protector across the edges and work your way down, making sure the sides align and are in straight line. You will get bubbles which you can then remove using a credit card by wiping them towards the edges. Works for me everytime.