Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 41,027 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fix adaptive brightness (all windows 8)

Tip us?

antys86
Old
(Last edited by antys86; 27th December 2013 at 03:10 PM.) Reason: upgrade
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Thumbs up Fix adaptive brightness (all windows 8)

I customized a luminosity curve for my surface rt, just edit the registry keys.
Download extract and run the attached .reg file and confirm the insertion of the Keys, then reboot the system.
Alert to make a backup of the old keys if you want to restore the previous state.
This change is compatible with all windows 8 but I have tested only on the surface.
Adaptive brightness varies proportionally to the user manual brightness, I suggest to manually adjust the brightness bar to about 20%, if you place the bar at 0 the brightness will be minimal with no automatic adaptation.
Appreciated thanks

New version v2
New improved version.
Try it and tell me if it's okay.
In the zip you will find the normal version and one with more brightness in the dark
I suggest to manually adjust the brightness bar to about 25%
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdaptiveBrightness.zip - [Click for QR Code] (545 Bytes, 210 views)
File Type: zip AdaptiveBrightness.v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 887 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to antys86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

antys86
Old
(Last edited by antys86; 16th December 2013 at 01:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Someone asked me why I did this!
In my surface the luminosity curve does not satisfy me.
The display seemed to have only three levels of brightness, setting an average value (ie on the desk in the room in the morning) adaptivity did not fit values ​​for low-light (night) and lots of light, that is to say the brightness in the dark was not a minimum making it annoying for the view and unnecessary consumption of battery, instead with shaded light levels brightness became easily maximum, with again a waste of battery.
This forced me to move often the brightness bar manually, but now with my calibration does not touch more because it adapts automatically to any light condition.
Also the adaptation of brightness occurred after 3 seconds by the change of light, whereas now changes instantly in 0,1 seconds (100ms).

ashwin1234
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Awesome, didn't know windows could be modded to do this! On a more related note, isn't the update interval a bit too high? 30x faster than normal seems a bit excessive and the battery drain would be very much more. If it is not too much trouble, could you perhaps make a version that updates every 1 second? This way people can download whichever one suits them best.

Thanks
Samsung Nexus 10(P8110) 32GB - Omni 4.4.2 + Trinity's kernel
Samsung Galaxy S2(i9100) 16GB+16GB -CM11 4.4.2+ Gustavo kernel
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) 32GB+64GB - stock 4.4.2

antys86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default version 1sec

It is not the refresh rate of the sensor, but the time between changes in display brightness because of lighting conditions.
This parameter does not affect the battery consumption.
However, to keep you happy I attach the version by 1 second.
Tell me if the curve satisfy you in different light conditions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdaptiveBrightness - 1sec.zip - [Click for QR Code] (558 Bytes, 91 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antys86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashwin1234
Old
(Last edited by ashwin1234; 17th December 2013 at 04:19 PM.) Reason: reporting back
Thanks Meter 32
Thank you, going to try it out now. What do you mean it is the time between changes of brightness? Shouldn't the brightness only change when the sensor detects it? Or is this a filtering via an average for the time period method?

Going to try out both of them to see the differences. Will report back here.

Back!: guess I understand what you are saying, the timing is just the gap between the different brightness levels, not the sensor reading. Sorry for the confusion caused.

I found the 1 sec one to not have a wide enough brightness range, but your original 0.1 sec one works perfectly. Using it now!

Thanks again!

antys86
Old
(Last edited by antys86; 17th December 2013 at 04:39 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Yes, is the time to change between the different levels of brightness.
1 sec or 0.1 sec, the luminosity curve is the same.
Just for curiosity on what hardware you have tested?
The Following User Says Thank You to antys86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashwin1234
Old
(Last edited by ashwin1234; 18th December 2013 at 01:27 AM.) Reason: fun
Thanks Meter 32
I'm using it on a surface rt. But now I notice in the dark, I can't manually increase brightness anymore. I didn't backup my registry either, but its okay.

Edit: I can edit the brightness manually if I disable the auto brightness under settings

antys86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default more light night

My intent was never to touch the brightness bar!
In this version, setting the bar more than about 25%, I raised slightly the minimum brightness
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdaptiveBrightness - moreLightNight.zip - [Click for QR Code] (581 Bytes, 71 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to antys86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KERKEDAGAIN
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by antys86 View Post
Yes, is the time to change between the different levels of brightness.
1 sec or 0.1 sec, the luminosity curve is the same.
Just for curiosity on what hardware you have tested?
im using your original version on the Asus T100 and am loving it. Thanks!
I'm no Dev; but I am certainly no NOOB!
My e"Street Cred"

antys86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I'm happy for you. However, work in progress for a new version.

The Following User Says Thank You to antys86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]