Nexus 7 flo vs. Nexus 7 grouper

Tip us?

hagensieker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Nexus 7 flo vs. Nexus 7 grouper

Hello all, my first post here.

Recently jumped into the Nexus 7 game with both feet and bought first a 2012 Nexus 7 then almost immediately a 2013 Nexus 7. After playing with both a bit I opted to buy yet another Nexus 7 but my purchase of choice the 3rd time around was another 2012 Nexus 7.

While on paper the specs for the 2013 Nexus 7 are sweet and it is no doubt a fantastic tablet my needs seem to be more suited to the 2012 based on the following conditions, (which I'm aware could change with hacks and kernel updates).

First of all I have USBROM installed on both my 2012 Nexus 7's. It allows me to connect a DAC to my Nexus and also an OTG Y cable which I can simultaneously charge. I have found with the latest CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies for the 2013 Nexus 7 I can also connect a DAC but I cannot charge at the same time.

I use Logitech Media Server to stream music to my Nexus 7 and having a wonderful touch screen that won't go off during use is fantastic. It replaced a Raspberry Pi running Squeezeplug. More user friendly for the family but of course more expensive.

Another reason I'm a fan of the 2012 is because I can connect a USB 3G dongle to it using PPPWidget. I have an unlocked Huawei E303 and travel extensively. Being able to hook a dongle up to my Nexus will be invaluable when I'm working on some foreign runway with no wifi and not data roaming on my cell phone.

Nexus 7 flo seems to have kernel module loading disabled.

Anyway in my opinion the newer Nexus 7 is somewhat crippled compared to its older brother. That being said I use my 2013 Nexus 7 religiously and constantly as the others seem to have taken up duties as stereo sources at work and at home. However when I travel I leave the new Nexus 7 at home.

Anyway, just an observation and an introduction. As I said I'm aware one good kernel makes the older Nexus 7 almost obsolete but I'm living in the here and now.

John Hagensieker
MCAS Iwakuni Japan

blackhand1001
Old
Thanks Meter 682

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagensieker View Post
Hello all, my first post here.

Recently jumped into the Nexus 7 game with both feet and bought first a 2012 Nexus 7 then almost immediately a 2013 Nexus 7. After playing with both a bit I opted to buy yet another Nexus 7 but my purchase of choice the 3rd time around was another 2012 Nexus 7.

While on paper the specs for the 2013 Nexus 7 are sweet and it is no doubt a fantastic tablet my needs seem to be more suited to the 2012 based on the following conditions, (which I'm aware could change with hacks and kernel updates).

First of all I have USBROM installed on both my 2012 Nexus 7's. It allows me to connect a DAC to my Nexus and also an OTG Y cable which I can simultaneously charge. I have found with the latest CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies for the 2013 Nexus 7 I can also connect a DAC but I cannot charge at the same time.

I use Logitech Media Server to stream music to my Nexus 7 and having a wonderful touch screen that won't go off during use is fantastic. It replaced a Raspberry Pi running Squeezeplug. More user friendly for the family but of course more expensive.

Another reason I'm a fan of the 2012 is because I can connect a USB 3G dongle to it using PPPWidget. I have an unlocked Huawei E303 and travel extensively. Being able to hook a dongle up to my Nexus will be invaluable when I'm working on some foreign runway with no wifi and not data roaming on my cell phone.

Nexus 7 flo seems to have kernel module loading disabled.

Anyway in my opinion the newer Nexus 7 is somewhat crippled compared to its older brother. That being said I use my 2013 Nexus 7 religiously and constantly as the others seem to have taken up duties as stereo sources at work and at home. However when I travel I leave the new Nexus 7 at home.

Anyway, just an observation and an introduction. As I said I'm aware one good kernel makes the older Nexus 7 almost obsolete but I'm living in the here and now.

John Hagensieker
MCAS Iwakuni Japan
There are custom kernels that have module loading enabled on the 2013 nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current: VZW Moto X Dev Edition
Extra (previous): Galaxy Nexus LTE - CM10.2
Droid Incredible AMOLED - CM7.2
Father: HTC Rezound - Stock Rooted

hagensieker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
There are custom kernels that have module loading enabled on the 2013 nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Could you point me to one please. I have searched and been unable to find. I have tried ElementalX, franco, Bulletproof, among others.

Thanks,

John

bluecar5556
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagensieker View Post
Could you point me to one please. I have searched and been unable to find. I have tried ElementalX, franco, Bulletproof, among others.

Thanks,

John
Try CM Mod

NsZebra
Old
Thanks Meter 458

DONATE TO ME
wait why u bought 3 nexus 7 tablets?

Check out my Youtube Channel

Device: Nexus 7 (2013) (Locked) Wi-Fi
The Following User Says Thank You to NsZebra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]