XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Water Damage. . .

Tip us?

patsater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Exclamation [Q] Water Damage. . .

Was at the beach today. Took my phone in with me. I was holding it above the water for a few minutes when I went in, then for a minute or two had it submerged under the water. Took it out to take a photo. BAM, screen wouldn't turn on. Tried resetting it using volume up and power button. Worked fine, everything was good until boot was complete. (aka screen wasn't flickering).

When it was finally on, SIM card not read, SD card not read, display flickering, camera unavailable. After about 30 seconds of being on, powered itself off. (Tried powering up multiple times after trying to dry more, no hope.) So, I decided to dry it completely with my towel and leave it beside my bag with flaps open and let it dry out in the sun. Came back after that, turned it on, screen was working okay, SIM card was detected, slightly normal for a few seconds. Shut itself off once more, tried again this time it was flickering etc. (FLICKERING ONLY STARTS AFTER BOOT IS COMPLETED...) I decided to give up on it and wait a few (more than 6) long, phone-less hours until I get home and try the rice thing.

When I was on my way home (a few hours later), I tried it again. Now all it does when I hold the power button to turn it on is vibrate three times (after the power on vibrate) and then nothing happens, shuts itself right off as soon as it is pressed. No screen light up, nothing. I decided to plug it in, faint red LED is lit and it just vibrates three times repeatedly.

P.s. The flaps were closed COMPLETELY, checked every few seconds, water damage indicators under flaps are clean plain white, yet when I dried the phone's exterior completely and the opened the flaps I could see heaps of water on the inside of them. It's been four hours and I'm still blowing out water and waiting for my rice.

Help, what happened?
Flaps were sealed tightly, yet water is all inside the phone, even the camera lens has water bubbles (at one stage it had condensation - which has been happening for at least a week prior to this).
Could this be repaired for free under warranty because obviously this shouldn't have happened as all of the flaps were SEALED.

This be trippy shiz.
I be trippin.
This shiz cray.

Thanks heaps
The Following User Says Thank You to patsater For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stealthj
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Says in the manual that it's not salt-waterproof....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Samsung SCH-3500
Motorola NexteL i860
Samsung D807
Nokia n91
HTC Kaiser
Nokia n95
Nokia n82
Nokia N97
HTC Glacier 4G
Nokia Lumia 800
Samsung GT-I9100
Galaxy Nexus
Nokia N9 (android 4.1)
Nokia PureView 808
Nexus 4
Razr M

Nexus 7 2
Sony Z1

patsater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthj View Post
Says in the manual that it's not salt-waterproof....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Yeah, but what's that got to do with water entering the phone

stealthj
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I guess. If I were you, I would try warranty. It's the only option. Or get insurance and file a claim in a week or so if you can.

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
Samsung SCH-3500
Motorola NexteL i860
Samsung D807
Nokia n91
HTC Kaiser
Nokia n95
Nokia n82
Nokia N97
HTC Glacier 4G
Nokia Lumia 800
Samsung GT-I9100
Galaxy Nexus
Nokia N9 (android 4.1)
Nokia PureView 808
Nexus 4
Razr M

Nexus 7 2
Sony Z1
The Following User Says Thank You to stealthj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

patsater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthj View Post
I guess. If I were you, I would try warranty. It's the only option. Or get insurance and file a claim in a week or so if you can.

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
Yeah, thanks man. That's what I was thinking, best way to go is attempt warranty.