XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

chromecast setup issue

Tip us?

dmcgrath009
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default chromecast setup issue

Hey guys quick question just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their chromecast setup . This is my second chromecast having the same issue.

I cannot get my phone or computer to complete the setup process. I get an error. See attached picture.

It sees the cast initially and says needs to be setup then after trying to setup I get the error.

Thanks in advance
Devin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-15-21-55-56.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2457167  
Girl you look good when you back that nand up

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrath009 View Post
Hey guys quick question just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their chromecast setup . This is my second chromecast having the same issue.

I cannot get my phone or computer to complete the setup process. I get an error. See attached picture.

It sees the cast initially and says needs to be setup then after trying to setup I get the error.

Thanks in advance
Devin
Is it setup in your WiFi on your phone?
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

dmcgrath009
Old
(Last edited by dmcgrath009; 16th December 2013 at 03:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35

I can choose to connect to it on the wifi network settings on my phone yes.

Also it shows up in the chromecast app as it needs to be set up

Phone : note 3
Chromecast serial : 3A08xxxxx
Router: D link dir-826l (USING 2.4GHZ band to try and connect)

Picture shows the initial screen i get when opening the app and trying to setup.

The number corresponds to the number on the TV but i can never get further than this.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

hehfahq
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Try rebooting your router. This helped me with connection problems in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 153
I don't think you can setup the Chromecast with your phone. I believe you need a PC to do it. When it's setting up, your PC's WiFi should switch to the Chromecast only; it'lll have some SSID with Chromecast in it. After you confirm the correct Chromecast, it'll do it's setup, and switch the PC WiFi back your LAN.

The error about making sure the Chromecast is nearby means, to me, that the device was not able to connect to the Chromecast. And I think you'll need something that can handle an Ad Hoc setup.

dmcgrath009
Old
(Last edited by dmcgrath009; 16th December 2013 at 04:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
You can set it up with the phone according to the instructions.

I also tried it with the computer and ended up with a similar error during setup.

My next thought is that it could be a issue with the router so I disabled that router and tried an old net gear router I had laying around and that gave me the same issue. From bother the phone and from my laptop (alien ware m11x)

I'm running out of ideas to try

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgrath009 View Post
You can set it up with the phone according to the instructions.

I also tried it with the computer and ended up with a similar error during setup.

My next thought is that it could be a issue with the router so I disabled that router and tried an old net gear router I had laying around and that gave me the same issue. From bother the phone and from my laptop (alien ware m11x)
  1. Don't trust the status in the Chromecast application - check what it says on the TV.
  2. Try using the HDMI extender
  3. Move Chromecast closer to the router, or if it's within 5 feet, farther from the router (constructive and destructive interference)
  4. Move Chromecast away from other Bluetooth and WiFi devices if at all possible
  5. If running setup on a PC, be sure the PC has only the wireless enabled, and no VPN connection running. Multiple adapters and VPN have potential to confuse the setup process.
  6. Make sure your phone is connected to your normal WiFi first
  7. Be sure that MAC filtering and AP isolation are not enabled in your AP/router.
  8. Try a factory reset
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post
I don't think you can setup the Chromecast with your phone. I believe you need a PC to do it.
Actually it's the exact opposite unless your PC has a WiFi card. It requires any device that can run the setup file and that device MUST have WiFi.

In this case I have to wonder if the OP is using a custom ROM. I believe you need to be able to make an AdHoc connection with the Chromecast for setup. Some custom Roms don't support this.

wptski
Old
(Last edited by wptski; 16th December 2013 at 06:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Actually it's the exact opposite unless your PC has a WiFi card. It requires any device that can run the setup file and that device MUST have WiFi.
If this is the case, nothing is mentioned in/about the Windows PC app.

EDIT: My CC is setup but I installed the PC app and it won't even open and later shows a Turn On WiFi box.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
In this case I have to wonder if the OP is using a custom ROM. I believe you need to be able to make an AdHoc connection with the Chromecast for setup. Some custom Roms don't support this.
AFAIK, it's a standard access point connection, but yeah, custom ROMs could be problematic for other reasons as well.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'